Replacing head gasket, what else while I'm in there?

Posted by jinscho, Aug 12, 2017

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. jinscho

jinscho Probationary Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    Head gasket started to leak recently (getting coolant in the combustion chamber). I went ahead and ordered a master gasket kit for the top half of the motor (head gasket, vcg, valve seals, intake and exhaust, egr, throttle body, and quite a few more) and a set of head studs. Also going to use this as an opportunity to replace the timing belt and water pump.

While I have the head off replacing all of that, what else should I address to make sure I'm not pulling the top half of the motor apart anytime soon?

I'm not looking to push any extra performance, just want a nice reliable daily driver at the end of this.

This is all on a 4G64 by the way..

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T

Street Build

manual
  2. mechanized

mechanized Proven Member

Joined Jul 29, 2017
    linden, Pennsylvania
    Looks like a good list to me but I'm sure someone has something else....pcv valve, intake and exhaust studs and nuts are about the only extras I see u don't have listed

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

16g   manual
  3. ishnish

ishnish Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2011
    Modesto, California
  4. jinscho

jinscho Probationary Member

Joined Jun 16, 2017
    Bangor, Pennsylvania
    I appreciate the feedback. I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible on this one. PCV is fairly new, and prior to putting the car on the road I had the exhaust manifold off to clean it up (car sat for 2 years prior to my purchase) and the studs on that end were still in good shape. I'll definitely take a peek at the intake studs While I have it off.

I read through your thread and I'm starting to feel a bit more confident that I'm on the right track. Don't think I'll have any issues with getting it to the machine shop, as I caught my head gasket issue immediately and there was never any overheating.

If anyone else has suggestions, let me know. I appreciate all of the input!

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder N/T

Street Build

manual