The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

REPLACEING HEADLINER 91 Laser rs

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o0GuitarKid0o

Proven Member
Dec 12, 2013
Winnipeg ,MB, MB_Canada
hey so I'm replacing my headliner(grey) with black because blacks awesome so here's the question are the panels hard to get in and out like above the window ect.. is there any specific way of removing the panels i should know about?
cool thanks (1991 plymouth laser rs)

It's been a while since I had my 1g, but my advice is:

-remove the front dash speaker covers to remove the A pillars easier
-there's a few hardware you'll need to unscrew, I think on the B pillars
-be aware that at the end of the A pillars (past the driver/passenger seats where they meet the B pillars) have double sided tape (I think), you might need some when putting back on.
-most of the panels use plastic tabs (which might break when you remove)
-be especially careful when remove the plastic tabs holding the headliner, most of mine were crusty and broke when I removed them
-be careful with the headliner, mine (90 laser) was just a styrofoam piece with some padding (thin brown stuff?) glued to it and with the fabric glued to the padding. The headliner is one big piece with tabs on the sides; these can be bent easily when reomving from the car.
-I pulled the fabric from the headliner (the padding was still on the headliner) and used something like a hard plastic brush to scrape the padding off the headliner
-make sure you use a good adhesive for the new material. I used gorilla glue (in a bottle) and didn't spread it enough on the styrofoam headliner causing bumps in the headliner

These are just my suggestions (from a regular joe schmoe), I'm sure others will have other/better ideas/hints for you.

Thought Id comment, ya help alot only broke one tab on my 91 laser thanks for warning me , we used some Industrial spray adhesive thats made for headliners worked great! Check it

Attachments

• 20150216_002220.jpg
    20150216_002220.jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 186
  • 20150216_002143.jpg
    20150216_002143.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 20150216_002211.jpg
    20150216_002211.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 235
Another tip, definitely use the proper trim tool, the one with the horseshoe open end, for popping out the plastic "plugs" behind the trim that go into the metal frame of the car. These plugs are stronger than the tabs that hold them to the trim piece. So up there in Canada, the plastic is probably incredibly cold, and if those tabs break, then you'll be looking for new trim pieces. I think there's 3 total of these plugs, so take your time, and if you can wait until its warmer out, then that's the better option.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back