1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G Replaced Alternator, Causing Oil Leak?

Posted by Creamy Italian, Apr 15, 2018

Please Support Miller Import Parts
  1. Creamy Italian

Creamy Italian Probationary Member

Joined Oct 27, 2015
    Truckee, California
    Sorry for the length of the post, just want to give as much info to help with any diagnosis.

After 3 or 4 remanufactured alternators with bad voltage regulators, I decided to by a 'new' alternator. While removing the busted unit I bumped the coolant line running next to the alternator. A few drops of coolant fell which happened before so I thought I'll just make sure the clamp is ok if more drips out. That night, while leaving work, I pulled my car forward to check the status of the leak and yup coolant leak. But there was also a small circle of oil about a foot from the coolant. Well that can't be mine, I didn't touch anything on that side of the engine and never touched anything to do with oil. Parking my car to match conditions the night before I found coolant and oil where there was none earlier. That coolant line did have a blow out so that has to be replaced but where is the oil coming from? The oil is falling from the passenger side of the engine but I can't see exactly where from. Pulling the dipstick my oil is above the max notch which is weird since I never added that much oil during the last change.

Knowing now that the coolant line runs to my oil cooler, would the non flow of coolant to the cooler make the oil leak from the other side of the engine? Or do I have a bigger problem on my hands? I wanted to start the engine after replacing the coolant hose to see where the oil is coming from but I have to wait until the hose arrives later this week.

Thanks for any info to help me get my car running again.

Robert
    1999 GSX - stock

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Likely unrelated leaks, are you sure its not transmission oil?

My DSM:
    1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Drag Race Build

GT42   manual
  3. Tanro

Tanro Proven Member

Joined Jul 22, 2009
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Lot of stuff could be leaking oil on that side.

Pull the flywheel inspection plate. Check behind it for oil dripping from the rear main. Other wise, CAS could be leaking where it seals against the head/valve cover. Valve cover and half moon plug would be the other likely suspects. PCV could leaking if its not screwed in tight. And then you have the oil pan, and oil return from the turbo.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

16g   manual
  4. Creamy Italian

Joined Oct 27, 2015
    Truckee, California
    motomattx: pretty sure it's not trans oil. felt and smelt like motor oil.

Tanro: after reading posts about oil from that side I was figuring those would be the culprits. the timing just seems weird that nothing before and then this happens as coolant hose breaks. i'll be checking those things in the next couple of days.

5. chrysler kid

chrysler kid Proven Member

Joined Dec 20, 2002
    Mckinney, Texas
    The hose is just a 5/16 water hose, you just need about a foot of it

Make sure you are over tightening the crap out of the alternators and that the adjustment bolt is also super tight.

A leaky power steering line can cause most alternator failures, or an under tightened belt as well

6. tk106

tk106 Proven Member

Joined Sep 11, 2017
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Oil leak should be pretty simple to trace. If you really can't find it, add dye to the oil then use a black light. I just replaced my alternator too. And if you pulled it out from the top, check your dipstick tube. It can be running along the the top of the oil pan.

My DSM:
    1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Street Build

16g   manual
  7. Creamy Italian

Joined Oct 27, 2015
    Truckee, California
    just got the coolant hose from STM. can't wait to install it tomorrow after work and run the car so I can see approximately where the leak is coming from.

I did spot a small pool of oil on top of my trans, wonder if it splashed up there or dripped down from somewhere. should know more tomorrow.

8. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    For coolant leak finding, buy a radiator pump pressure tester. It's well worth the money because you'll be using it multiple times on every car you own for the rest of your life!

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

14.200 @ 95.000 MPH
  9. Creamy Italian

Joined Oct 27, 2015
    Truckee, California
    After replacing the coolant hose going to the oil cooler, the oil leak has stopped! Well I do still see 1-3 drops after driving but it's so much better than the pool of oil I was experiencing before. And the lower amount of the oil leak is not because all the oil is out of my car, oil level is within limits.

I'm not sure why the coolant line to the oil cooler would make all that oil leak from the motor. Maybe I have a small leak now from that but I'll tackle that once the weather warms up and I can pull the motor for major maintenance.

Thanks to all that helped me with this mysterious leak.