Removing Small rear quarter windows?

Posted by eclipse98GST, Jul 16, 2007
Appearance/Interior/Exterior - All interior and exterior tech discussions; body and paint, conversions, lighting, washing, waxing, etc.

1. eclipse98GST

eclipse98GST Proven Member

Florissant, Missouri
    Im painting my car and I need to know how to remove the weather stripping from the small rear windows. If you know please explain.

Thanks
  2. Grimis

Grimis Proven Member

Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania
    you cant, there part of the quarter windows. You have to remove the whole window. Easer to just mask it off. I know I had mine replaced :thumb:
  3. DGajre777

DGajre777 DSM Wiseman

DSM Profiles:
    TLH, Florida
    What ^^^ said. The trim on the quarter windows is part of the window. If you need to replace it that bad try a dealer, they should be about $75 each.
  4. moonraker

moonraker Proven Member

Naples, Florida
    is it too dificult to remove the rear quarter windows on my 2g eclipse? how do you do it. im sure you have to remove the inner panels of the car and the window may have a pressure seal?

thanks in advance.
  5. 95burgundyesi

95burgundyesi Proven Member

Rockford, Illinois
    Take out your back seats and the side panel. That should expose the whole window. There is a seal im sure, just peel it off, but you might want to get a new one because I wouldnt think you could reuse it.

Why are you taking it out j/w?
  6. moonraker

moonraker Proven Member

Naples, Florida
    ok thanks, you mean replace the seal right? i am taking it out to paint the car because last time i painted my old talon, when taking off the masking tape it peeled off the paint and i had to do a s***load of touchups off the moulding of those quarter windows.
  7. 95burgundyesi

95burgundyesi Proven Member

Rockford, Illinois
    yeah I doubt they are reusable and mine as well be safe.

You are obligated to provide before and afters now of the paint :thumb:

I have the good old black top oxidization going on.
  8. moonraker

moonraker Proven Member

Naples, Florida
    well i guess if i have to...:p hopefully by the end of this weekend she will be all glossed up.
  9. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Member

Mendota, Illinois
    they should have a butyl rubber seal..it's some sticky ass sh** almost like caulk just get off all the mechanical fasteners, then pull and work it out..

i'm assuming your just doing a scuff and shoot? lucky you.. mine took 4 weeks of 20hr days to get it done..
  10. johnspee5

johnspee5 Proven Member

Minneapolis, Minnesota
    Hey just thought I would throw my 2cents in here. I am a carpainter and when I redid my 1gen it needed a whole rear clip and of course the quarter glass had to be Removed and later Reinstalled. I am in a bodyshop every day and have been for the last 18+yrs but the problem I had with the quarter glass was when I first put them back in I was using a butyl ribbon that had a foam core in it. This is much more common today and it must have some bolts to hold the glass as well with it. The type of butyl you need is the old kind that has nothing in the center of it. Make sure its the correct stuff by pulling a piece of it off and it should strech out to a thin piece and break. If you have to cut it Thats the wrong stuff. If you use the foam filled and decide to put your windows down on the hiway I can almost promise you that you will be popping the quarter glass out of the car. Anyway just had a min so hope it helps. PS lets see a pic when you get that baby all shined up...:)
  11. bastarddsm

bastarddsm Supporting Member

Mendota, Illinois
    wow i didn't even know they had that.. it was pretty rare that we even worked on a car that used that kinda seals anyway..i think it was mostly reat windows of extended cab chevy trucks.
  12. 96DsmTunr

96DsmTunr Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Charleston, South_Carolina
    Hey. I am going to replace the quarter windows on my car and was just wondering if anyone had a photo of what the car looks like without the glass in. From what I remember they have a small lip where the glue is placed right? Thanks!
  13. azdave

azdave Proven Member

Gilbert, Arizona
  14. 96DsmTunr

96DsmTunr Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Where at on there? All I see is links which don't show the car without the glass installed.
  15. Project2G

Project2G Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Littleton, Colorado
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. 96DsmTunr

96DsmTunr Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Is that broken or removed?