1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Trouble Logging In or Staying Logged In?

CLEAR YOUR BROWSER COOKIES! More info about this can be found here. If you still have trouble after clearing your browser's cookies and cache, reply to that thread and tell us what browser you're using and what device you're using.

2G Removing paint from taillights

Posted by MasterMatt209, May 11, 2018

Please Support Southbay Fuel Injectors
  1. MasterMatt209

MasterMatt209 Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2015
    Danville, Indiana
    image.jpg

So my brother picked up a set of the rare clear taillights for whopping 40 bucks. They’re perfect besides someone painted the center piece to match their car. Does anyone have advice on how we can eat the paint off and restore the piece back to clear?

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

T25   automatic
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

T25   automatic

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. Mello

Mello Proven Member

Joined Jul 4, 2003
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Sand paper, elbow grease & polishing like when restoring yellowed headlight lens.

MasterMatt209 and ist dwa like this.
  3. Paraquat

Paraquat Probationary Member

Joined Jun 18, 2009
    New Britain, Connecticut
    A plastic safe lacquer thinner would help. I think 3M safest thinner, it's available at the big box hardware places. Polish and wax.

--Steve

MasterMatt209 likes this.
  4. Techn0Nut1996

Techn0Nut1996 Probationary Member

Joined Jan 20, 2017
    Ames, Iowa
    I just did the same except with removing night shade. I used sandpaper and a headlight restoration rubbing compound. The order of the sandpaper was: 320, 400, 500, 800, 1000, 3000, then the 2 step rubbing compound for a super clear OEM finish. Took me about 6 hours to wet sand and do all 3 sections of the tail lights, but I took my time and the center section had some sun damage that I worked out of it too.

My DSM:
  5. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    I have a rear Talon light I'm looking to sell in the near future that I need to remove some black-out from. Thanks for the information guys.

My DSM:
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST

Street Build

13.876 @ 106.97 MPH
  6. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Probationary Member

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    If you want to remove the black-out from the taillight, use VHT Nightshade. Spray it on really hard (and close), then wipe it off. It's crazy corrosive before it dries.
    I recently tinted my tail and headlights, when putting a headlight back in, dropped it and scratched the black-out, just did the above to remove the shade and restart the tinting process.
    Hope this wasn't too redundant.

Attached Files:

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

T25   manual
  7. MasterMatt209

MasterMatt209 Proven Member

Joined Jan 17, 2015
    Danville, Indiana
    This is like some spray paint, possibly professional. You think it would still work?

My DSM:
    1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

T25   automatic
    1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX

Street Build

T25   automatic
  8. nismojones

nismojones Proven Member

Joined Jan 10, 2008
    Metro Detroit, Michigan
    I also went through this, but simply used a razor for the bulk of it. Finished with a fine grit and buffed back to normal.

9. Kai Hefner

Kai Hefner Probationary Member

Joined Jun 21, 2018
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Yes, I could make a YouTube video on it if you would like. There is not really such thing as professional spray tint. Even if I'm mistaken and there is, the VHT Nighshade at close range and a wipe is crazy powerful, and will get through paint (it won't damage your headlight don't worry).

My DSM:
    1998 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

Road Race Build

T25   manual