The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Removing 7 bolt engine block from 1gb FWD Laser?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I pulled the head and just the block remains. Trans is pulled and engine is out. I'd like to attempt to build/inspect the motor outside of the vehicle. Vehicle is sitting on a concrete slab with about 40 feet of gravel between it and my workshop that has a concrete slab.

What are my options as far as moving it and what else needs to be disconnected to get it out. Would it best to remove it from the top or bottom? There is a trans jack under it at the moment but I am not sure that would be sufficient. I have never used an engine hoist.

I have not done anything like this before.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
In my case I have let them drop out the bottom and then just jack up the car and drag the engine out from under it, its easier if you let it drop onto a tarp that will pull easily, as far as moving the block its light enough that you should be able to pick it up and carry it a little at a time or put it in a wagon or whatever and pull it into your shop, lift with your legs and not your back.

Thanks for that! You make it sound like changing brakes. :) (and no not the rears on a 1g LOL).

I am getting older so I don't know if I can pick the block up a little at a time like that. I find the head with the intake manifold and exhaust manifold attached to be quite a challenge and with the block being cast iron with all internals....you know what I mean. I have no one to help either. :(

Any other pointers on moving it around? I do have a trailer that I could push it on to but even that is a pain because I built a wooden rear gate on the back of it that doesn't reach the ground. It will snap that gate off if I try.

I can certainly handle that. Will leave it on the tarp until someone feels guilty enough to help me lift it up to the stand.

If you plan on doing more motors in the future an engine hoist really is a worth while investment. They really arent too expensive and you can even find them on CL for good deals sometimes. Most of them collapse anymore for easy storage. I had one that didn't collapse and it was a pain. All that said ... it won't roll across those stones very well but it will take away all that heavy lifting, esp. if your alone.

Just borrow an engine lift , remove rad and motor mounts , remove accessories and crank pully and pull it with the hood off! That's the easiest dropping the engine from the bottom sucks! I considered it .

If you have enough people you can use a strap and lower the engine down but it just seems sketchy that way .

Me and my buddy put my 6bolt into the back seat of my cavalier LOL it's atleast 300 pounds

I dropped my auto trans with the engine in and no transmission Jack a few years back and it was a pain ! Proper tools go a long way ! I will never do that again! It may work but it's a hassle !

Attachments

• IMAG0197.jpg
    IMAG0197.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 66
If you plan on doing more motors in the future an engine hoist really is a worth while investment. They really arent too expensive and you can even find them on CL for good deals sometimes. Most of them collapse anymore for easy storage. I had one that didn't collapse and it was a pain. All that said ... it won't roll across those stones very well but it will take away all that heavy lifting, esp. if your alone.

Invest in one, or have a friend with one :thumb:.

If only the block remains, id suggest a wagon or moving dolly to get it into the shop. Once in there, you should be able to get it onto an engine stand easy enough.

Either way, once you have it built you're gonna need a hoist in order to drop the fully built motor back into the bay.

I like the posts guys. The crank pulley is out, the radiator is gone. Valid point on the needing a hoist sooner or later. The gravel between my shop/garage is sort of a misnomer. It is actually asphalt millings. I was told that they were as good as asphalt if rolled with a roller. So far, I am not convinced. They seem to be hardening over time. I'd like to see how it goes this summer. Cars leave marks (but not grooves) but the stones really don't move much. Still there are no fines to hold them together. I could not find anyone to show up to my home and put down asphalt so I did what I thought was the next best thing.

Last edited:
I've gone out the bottom and the top. The top is easier assembled the bottom isn't bad without a head on it and your limited on space. I used a moving dollie and lowered the car onto it with wood blocks to support the engine on the dollie. Then took off the mounts. Jacked up the car and slid it out the wheel well. As far as the gravel issue find a 2 wheel cart or heck a wheel barrel. These short blocks are not that bad to lift. I rebuild my last one in my basement and carried the short block by myself up the stairs and to the garage. Yeah it wasn't fun but whatever it takes

I've gone out the bottom and the top. The top is easier assembled the bottom isn't bad without a head on it and your limited on space. I used a moving dollie and lowered the car onto it with wood blocks to support the engine on the dollie. Then took off the mounts. Jacked up the car and slid it out the wheel well. As far as the gravel issue find a 2 wheel cart or heck a wheel barrel. These short blocks are not that bad to lift. I rebuild my last one in my basement and carried the short block by myself up the stairs and to the garage. Yeah it wasn't fun but whatever it takes

Thanks for that. I like the wheel barrel idea alot. Just have to make sure it isn't one where the wood handles dry rot or plastic handles get UV damaged. Ughhhh.

Can the engine and transmission be installed together via hoist or must they be installed one at a time. Same question on the engine stand. Is there a way to bolt the trans to the engine on the stand. Just looking to do things in as big a chunk as I can.

Thanks

Can the engine and transmission be installed together via hoist or must they be installed one at a time. Same question on the engine stand. Is there a way to bolt the trans to the engine on the stand. Just looking to do things in as big a chunk as I can.

Thanks
Engine and trans can be installed together, however you won't be able to bolt the trans up to the engine while it's on the stand. Best bet is to put the engine on the hoist with a load leveler in place, lower it towards the ground and bolt the trans on, and then drop it into the bay in one piece. Take your time while lowering it in and have some friends help if possible to guide it in.

Engine and trans can be installed together, however you won't be able to bolt the trans up to the engine while it's on the stand. Best bet is to put the engine on the hoist with a load leveler in place, lower it towards the ground and bolt the trans on, and then drop it into the bay in one piece. Take your time while lowering it in and have some friends help if possible to guide it in.

Your post makes lots of sense. I was thinking that about the stand considering how it is held....but I like the workaround. Thanks.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back