The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

2G Relocated battery inline fuse keeps blowing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM Boosted

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 1, 2007
Canyon, Texas
I just did a clutch job on my car, and now everything is back together but when I got to crank the car, it will try to start and then the inline fuse (battery relocated in the trunk) keeps blowing every time and I lose all power..I know it has to be something simple but the P.O. did a messy relocation job..It didn't do this or give me any problems before the tranny was pulled..

How big is the fuse? It should be some like 200A

The 80 AMP fuse goes to the alternator. Alternator may have "shorted internally" or the positive terminal is touching something metallic. Check the wiring for shorting to ground, and remove the alternator for testing. With the alternator out, wrap up the single terminal end from the battery going to the back of the alternator (don't want that wire to touch any metal). Install the 80AMP fuse and try to start the car. Check the fuse, Is it blown? If NO, then disconnect neg. bat. terminal, Install new alternator. Reconnect neg. bat. terminal and recheck alt output.

On my battery relocation I run a 150 amp fuse without any issues. You get the most amp draw during cranking. I believe mine pulled around 160 amps when cranking. If the fuse it blowing when trying to start the car try a larger fuse. If it blows when you just switch the keys on you have a short.

The car has always ran an 80A fuse before the clutch swap..It only blows after trying to crank it for a minute, the car runs fine before I try to crank it..It's just odd this didn't start until the tranny was removed..The only thing removed was the starter ground..

I regrounded the starter ground and used a bigger fuse, car no longer pops fuses but seems like the starter is having problems starting the car..

RESOLVED! Ended up being the coolant temp sensor! Did some searching and found some topics about it...and sure enough!

Last edited:
I had the same problem and sure enough its the freaking coolant temp sensor. :hellyeah: mad props DSM Boosted!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back