The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

Registering a car out of state to avoid smog?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My car is registered out of state, but Im still a resident of Wisconsin. Im in the military though, so it may be easier for me. Im not positive how it would be for someone on the civilian side. Claiming residency and such while living in a different state. The good thing for me is the police dome mess with me because Im from out of state.. Ive seen people get pulled over and state rev tickets for having mods on their cars. So, that to me would be the only upside Ive seen here. However, Im supposed to have smog done to get tags for my base. But I snuck around it shhh :thumb:

Anyone else have some civilian side input??

Legally, you can't do it yourself if you are not a resident of that state. I too am military and my state of residence is not California. Basically, you would have to have someone's name on your title or loan on the vehicle that reside in that state in order to register the car there legally. I wanted to put my wife's car in GA just to lower the registration, but I am not on the loan with her, so we can't do it.

The one thing the cops can still get you for even if you are out of state is noise ordinance. And if they really want to dig deeper into it, they can look up your state's laws to see if you are within your states regs. But 99.9% of the time they have much better things to do!

So if I have a friend who lives in Las Vegas, NV. And their smog laws are much easier than CA. I will have to change the title to his name, but I hve been able to put 2 names on the title cant you?

but I reside and live here in CA, he in NV. Will this work so I don't have to put up with the strict smog laws.

-----

Nevada uses On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) Testing for 1996 and newer vehicles. The operator will connect an analyzer to the OBD computer in your vehicle. Data from your vehicle will indicate whether its emissions systems are operating properly and within emissions limits.

Older vehicles are tested with a Two-Speed Idle Test. The operator will test your vehicle once at idle speed, then test it again with the engine running at approximately 2500 rpm.

Diesel vehicles are tested on a dynamometer.

Certain counties in Ca don't have smog check, so you can register your car in a different county. I haven't looked into it beyond that, but I think you just need to get a PO box in a smogless county and register the car there. You still might need to proove residency in that county to get a PO box. It helps to have a friend that lives in that county who's willing to help.

check it out; Smog Information

you could always register it in a diff part of the state where smog laws dont apply? Where i live they dont have a smog check. just a thought

Yes, you can add your friends name who is out of state and should be able to register it in that state.

[QUOTEYes, you can add your friends name who is out of state and should be able to register it in that state.[/QUOTE]

You could do that, however, I personally would not.. For this reason, say you think its a good idea at the time. It works for a while and everythings dandy.. Then, you and your friend get in a fight, you bang his girl or vise versa or just something to make you two not talk or be friends.. Now he owns half your car pretty much beacause his name is on the title.. In other words youd be screwed!

Agreed with ^ ... but theres ways around it. Such as before even filing for the joint title, have him sign some type of contract or agreement and date it so there could be no possible problems in court.

Here's the deal. My mom owns a house in Colorado. I could easily put her name on the title and register the car at her address... no problems with friends... No problem with my name being on the title and having a CA license. I could go that route. I'm just wondering if I'd run into cops questioning whether I stole the car or something.

I can see the same name on the registration and license, yet with different states might cause problems.

Here's the deal. My mom owns a house in Colorado. I could easily put her name on the title and register the car at her address... no problems with friends... No problem with my name being on the title and having a CA license. I could go that route. I'm just wondering if I'd run into cops questioning whether I stole the car or something.

I can see the same name on the registration and license, yet with different states might cause problems.

Just register on your moms name with ins. in her name too with the CO address. If she has renters there have USPS forward that mail to your address here. so you can pay the bills (reg and ins)

If you ever get pulled over say you are borrowing your moms car and getting ready to head back to CO...

It would probably be good to get a CO license too, then you can just show that one. I know some states give it the same day ,like Florida.

Im not sure if youd have problems with cops thinking you stole the vehicle over them more concerned that your living at one address not claiming that states residency but your previous states.. I think it would work out with the forwarding mail though! Just have your mothers name on the title but you as the primary driver and you pay your insurance. I know for a fact that you can have your car registered in one state and have it insured in another. Thats what I have to have for my Spyder, being a WI resident and registered there the insurance company would not insure me because the vehicle isnt being drivin in that state.

You can do what I did and report that your car is out of state and it won't be present to smog. They'll exempt you from a smog check until like the next year or 2 years I forget. But when I did it the DMV wasn't as strict about smog like they are now.

What I did was go to the DMV and fill out a statement of facts and check off that the vehicle isn't in the state. It has to be in a specific state too like if its in Nevada or oregon or something it won't work. I told the clerk my brother took the car to school with him in like Arizona. Then you need to get an address also. When I did it they gave me the reg sticker right then and there, I have heard some instances where they will mail it to the address you provide to them, so you'll probably want a legit out of state address to someone you know.

I know this works for Cali other states I heard they might make you take it to a smog shop in the state its in as proof. Hell it might be like that now also its been a while.

This is why I'm going to sell my RS eventually, I can't deal with the sneaky smog tricks anymore and it hasn't passed smog for like half a decade now. =P That or it becomes a trailer queen.

I thought if your car has a certain amount of low mileage, you won't have to smog it in California. But, if you have a certain amount of high mileage on your car, then you would, for sure, smog it.

I'm thinking I'll just pay someone to pass it and if I get sent to the state ref after that for some reason, it'll just be a track car/trailer queen. Seems like it'll be easier that way. I don't drive it on the street right now anyway.

I thought if your car has a certain amount of low mileage, you won't have to smog it in California. But, if you have a certain amount of high mileage on your car, then you would, for sure, smog it.

Thats news to me, maybe your thinking about the new car thing, if you bought a new car you don't need to smog it for x amount of years. They won't know how many miles you've driven your car until you take it to the smog station anyway, thats how they record your miles.

Yeah sux having a car thats hard to smog, thats where I'm at with my RS, trying to get rid of it because its too hard to smog and no space =( I would totally trailer it if I had the space though. I still prefer the RSs handling over the GST, the GST just seems like a more clumsier snow plow. Such a waste fully built 420A :cry:

new mexico is the easiest place to get your car registered...... they only ask for insurance and vin number how great is that...:hellyeah::tease:

Yeah, but do they have smog check/inspection in New Mexico? Does your insurance need to match your actual location or the city of registration?

I just changed my address on line with the DMV to a friends house in Lake County. No questions, no problems, they sent the renewal there and he gave it to me every year. A P.O. box will be hard because you will have to show proof of residency to the post master before they give you one.

I renew it online.... wait for it to come in and slap it on my plate no questions asked...... im sure about the insurance matching im sure it has to at least match the state.....

Im from Vegas and My car will not pass smog anywhere, so I went to a smog test only station in SJ and paid a guy to pass my car. but the dmv will pop your hood for a vin inspection when you go register it. just make your engine bay look stock and no problems at the dmv.

PM me for the details on station if needed. kinda pricey

I just changed my address on line with the DMV to a friends house in Lake County. No questions, no problems, they sent the renewal there and he gave it to me every year. A P.O. box will be hard because you will have to show proof of residency to the post master before they give you one.

Whoa so Lake County is one of those smog exempt regions OMG

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back