Rear tires bigger than my front!

Posted by jibberishballr, May 22, 2006
Newbie Forum - Beginner DSM modification questions and discussions. Common, repetitive, and general discussions will get dumped here from other tech forums. Unless you're a Probationary member you shouldn't post threads here.

1. jibberishballr

jibberishballr Proven Member

Chico, California
    Like the title says...So i was wondering if this would cause any problems suspension wise or anything else? I noticed when my friend pulled his gs-t up next to mine. His is all stock and i thought he had lowered it because mine looked further off the ground than his...LOL
  2. blcknspo0ln

blcknspo0ln DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Central, New_Jersey
    Not if you're FWD. As long as the driver and passenger side tires are the same.
  3. nightspeed87

nightspeed87 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    Tampa, Florida
    are you talking about wit stock rims also, or aftermarket because theres a lot of different things that will evaulate this, when i tried this on my stock rims i put bigger in the back, i think it was 215/45/16 and the stock 205/45/16 i believe it had poor handling and the car felt like it wanted to slide off the rode when i turned hard, so i ditched that set up and just put the bigger size of the back tires all the way around and have it lowered 2in . Oh anbd i forgot the handling sucked with that bigger in back set up dispite that i have front and rear strut bar, so i wouldnt recommend it unless its aftermarket rims. I have a friend with 225/40/16 in the back on his stock rims and the regular size tires on front and his looks mean as hell sitting like that, but i dont think it did any justice for his handling either. that set up is more for drag racing but if you like slamming corners i wouldnt recommend it
  4. nightspeed87

DSM Profiles:
    Tampa, Florida
    but mines is a first gen also if that makes any difference...
  5. blcknspo0ln

blcknspo0ln DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Central, New_Jersey
    I suppose I should have ellaborated on my answer. The question is NO you will not "hurt anything" by running a staggered wheel setup. Do you want to? depends on the situation like the above poster mentioned.
  6. jibberishballr

Chico, California
    I just think it doesnt look as good...I like how my friends looks with tires of the same size
  7. jibberishballr

Chico, California
    Its aftermarket rims too by the way. I think im going to get tires of the same size and see if it looks better. I hope it does.
  8. blcknspo0ln

blcknspo0ln DSM Wiseman

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Central, New_Jersey
    Of course running the same tire on all four corners looks better, silly. :tease:
  9. Matchbox

Matchbox Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , Asia
    If you have ABS, it would not funtional correctly when any one of wheels is not the same as others. :dsm:
  10. nightspeed87

DSM Profiles:
    Tampa, Florida
    that could be true... You could risk it if you really like the way it looks that way but i know you wouldnt want to go back and forth spending money trying to figure out which size is the best size so i guess just keep doing your research.
  11. jibberishballr

Chico, California
    I must not have ABS then because it works right now and ive got different size tires on. I think im going to get smaller tires for my rear so it looks lower and much better IMO.
  12. b-nizzzle

b-nizzzle Probationary Member

Chico, California
    ya u should get new tires in the back.. the whole bigger back tire setup looks wird when the front of your car is goin downward.. i bet ## friends car looks way tighter :p :p JK
  13. elfroggo

elfroggo Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    Palo Alto, California
    Well, you only use ABS when you brake hard enough to lock up the brakes then the computer takes over. So in normal driving, yeah your car "works".
  14. Matchbox

Matchbox Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    , Asia
    There is two ways to check if you have ABS or not. (a) open your hood and ABS module locates behind driver's headlight. or (b) when you turn ignition on, ABS lights up on your dash board.