The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Rear thumping / carrier bearings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosul210

20+ Year Contributor
Aug 7, 2003
san antonio, Texas
So I noticed the car makes a thump in the rear when I shift from 1st to 2nd. If I accelerate slowly there is no thumping but moderate to fast you can hear it. I did a visual inspection and the rubber on the carrier bearings look very worn. Does JNZ still carry the driveshaft rebuild kit? Also anything else I would need that is not included in the kit?

Today there is a post by "GST with PSI" who just got these rubber parts, showing pics of them still in the mitsu packaging with part numbers. I'll post a link to the thread.
New carriers were one of the first things I got replaced with new parts on my car when I bought it in 2005. But I didn't do the work myself and I don't know what all is involved really. For example, wouldn't you also like to replace the actual bearings that are in those things - but I don't see those bearings anywhere.
I see the rubber parts for sale at STM, and I like STM as a dealer. They are usually pretty helpful and they have great pics on their website: http://www.streettunedmotorsports.c..._carrier_bearing_support_bushings_evo_dsm.htm

Do you have a copy of section 16 in the factory shop manual, which deals with these parts and the lobro joint?

Here's a link to the thread I mentioned. This guy is really good, I would ask him about it. Look at post #321 here. Also if you look back earlier in that thread, he and i had some conversation about drive shaft problems - his with the Drive Shaft Shop parts, and mine with new rebuilt stock parts.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/gstwithpsis-galant-vr4-1837-2000.482807/page-13#post-153653318

Last edited:
I just finished doing it. I got a new rebuild kit in the classifieds on here for $100. It's not bad at all. Watch jafro on yt. he shows the steps. I used a shop press for removal of old joints and pressed new ones in with a vice. The bearings took a bit to get off but were in amazing shape for their age. u-joints were a different story. 2/3 were notchy and were likely causing my vibration. My kit didn't have the nuts or t-case output seal, but I got it second hand new. I think the kits come with those things. stm got me the parts I was missing instantly.

I just finished doing it. I got a new rebuild kit in the classifieds on here for $100. It's not bad at all. Watch jafro on yt. he shows the steps. I used a shop press for removal of old joints and pressed new ones in with a vice. The bearings took a bit to get off but were in amazing shape for their age. u-joints were a different story. 2/3 were notchy and were likely causing my vibration. My kit didn't have the nuts or t-case output seal, but I got it second hand new. I think the kits come with those things. stm got me the parts I was missing instantly.

Very good!
Looks like the YouTube channel is called Jafromobile and the carrier bearing video is here:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

For those parts from STM, did you call them to get OEM parts not listed on their web site basically?

I wasn't tracking that I needed a t-case output seal. Is this really necessary? Sorry for the noob questions I just have never done this before.

Today there is a post by "GST with PSI" who just got these rubber parts, showing pics of them still in the mitsu packaging with part numbers. I'll post a link to the thread.
New carriers were one of the first things I got replaced with new parts on my car when I bought it in 2005. But I didn't do the work myself and I don't know what all is involved really. For example, wouldn't you also like to replace the actual bearings that are in those things - but I don't see those bearings anywhere.
I see the rubber parts for sale at STM, and I like STM as a dealer. They are usually pretty helpful and they have great pics on their website: http://www.streettunedmotorsports.c..._carrier_bearing_support_bushings_evo_dsm.htm

Do you have a copy of section 16 in the factory shop manual, which deals with these parts and the lobro joint?

Here's a link to the thread I mentioned. This guy is really good, I would ask him about it. Look at post #321 here. Also if you look back earlier in that thread, he and i had some conversation about drive shaft problems - his with the Drive Shaft Shop parts, and mine with new rebuilt stock parts.
http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/gstwithpsis-galant-vr4-1837-2000.482807/page-13#post-153653318

Great links, good info. Thank you brother.

Well stated vegas. If it's leaking, you need it, but it can be done at anytime. You have to pull the driveshaft slip yoke out of the tcase to replace the seal, but you would not have to disassemble the driveshaft again.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back