The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Rear subframe removal, are any brake lines etc. attached on top?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talyn

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 10, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I'm about to drop my rear subframe, all the suspension stuff is out of the way, along with the axles, hubs etc. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether the rear brake lines, or fuel lines etc are bolted to it that I need to worry about? If anybody knows what other less obvious things like that I need to watch out for, please let me know. I'll probably have it dropped by the time I get an answer, but just in case I don't or run into issues could still use the info.

I'm about to drop my rear subframe, all the suspension stuff is out of the way, along with the axles, hubs etc. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether the rear brake lines, or fuel lines etc are bolted to it that I need to worry about? If anybody knows what other less obvious things like that I need to watch out for, please let me know. I'll probably have it dropped by the time I get an answer, but just in case I don't or run into issues could still use the info.

The subframe can be removed with most of the items you removed still attached. However, since you removed many items, some items to consider:

• Mark the driveshaft and rear flange so they go back together the way they were removed.
  • Remove ABS connectors on the top of the subframe if you have not done so already.
  • If you have removed the hubs, you must have already done something with the rear calipers, so no lines should need to be messed with. No fuel or brake lines connect to the rear subframe.
  • I assume you have already disconnected the parking brake cables as well?

For posterity the only thing you really have to watch out for is single harness connector on the passenger side, I believe for the ABS, so non ABS cars might not even have it. It has plenty of slack, once the subframe is past the studs you should be able to see it. Fuel lines, brake lines, etc are attached to the body.

The subframe can be removed with most of the items you removed still attached. However, since you removed many items, some items to consider:

• Mark the driveshaft and rear flange so they go back together the way they were removed.
  • Remove ABS connectors on the top of the subframe if you have not done so already.
  • If you have removed the hubs, you must have already done something with the rear calipers, so no lines should need to be messed with. No fuel or brake lines connect to the rear subframe.
  • I assume you have already disconnected the parking brake cables as well?

Forgot to mark the driveshaft, although I may have done so in the past, and 50/50 chance I'll get a new one anyways.
Found the ABS harness, as my last post indicates. (I posted without refreshing the thread so hadn't seen your reply yet)
Yep, already had the flex hoses disconnected, as well as the parking brake cables.
This actually all started out with wanting to just replace the suspension bushings and diff bushings, then I realized it was going to be easiest to just pull everything and do it all at once, usually how it goes, and ofc drastically raising the cost, LOL. I wish I had the scratch for a tubular subframe, but for now I'll have to make the best of what I've got. Although in hindsight, by the time you fully upgrade the stock setup, you just about could buy the tubular one, although it's probably overkill for road course.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back