The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Rear differential Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitsumike0

Proven Member
Oct 13, 2013
Passaic, New_Jersey
Good afternoon all. Here is the situation, car is a 97 GSX with a loud humming comming from the rear of the car. The humming starts at about 20 mph, with the loudest being around 40. It never goes away either, no matter the speed. I initially thought it was the passenger side rear wheel bearing. After going to hell and back i managed to change it(seized) and the noise still persists. I checked if the rear driver side bearing had any play, but it does not. So my last thought here is that the maybe the diff is no good. I changed the oil about a month ago and put some heavy shockproof in. It helped but only cut the noise slightly. I ended up finding another non lsd diff in good shape but is there anything special i need to do to remove the unit on the car? Anyone think the diff is my problem here? Anything input is greatly appreciated.

Does the rear make noise accelerating or on decel?
What is the condition of your rear axles?
When you changed the rear diff fluid, how did it look?

Here is an article about removal: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/2g-rear-diff-removal-article.275453/

Before proceeding with this method of removal, check the condition of your rear diff bushings. Over time, they wear out and rip/crack allowing the rear diff to move more than it should. This will cause premature wear on the differential bearings. If you are able to move the rear diff around rather easily by hand, or if you notice any rips/cracks anywhere on the bushings, they need changed. If this is the case, the rear sub frame needs to be removed (it is a rather easy job). Annnnnnd since you are there, you may as well replace the rear sub frame bushings as well.

Rear differential bushing install: http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2gbushinstall.htm

Rear sub frame bushings: http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/how-to-install-boostx-2g-awd-rear-subframe-bushings.410611/

Thanks for the quick reply. Noise is made upon accelerating and on decel within the same mph frame. Rear axles seem to be in alright shape, no tears in the boots or clicking noises. When i drained the fluid, it had fine metallic particles but no big chunks or anything that seemed out of the norm.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back