The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Rear control arm bushing removal tips?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

er82

Proven Member
Apr 18, 2014
Sacramento, California
I have the energy suspension rear control arm bushing kit. I plan on replacing the lower bushing and the trailing arm bushings. Any tips on replacing those? Do I use a torch or get a ball join or some bearing/bushing sleeve tools kit?

I am currently doing the front subframe bushings on my 1g. Quickest and easiest way to get the old bushings out is with a socket and a sledgehammer. Took 10 minutes to get all the old bushings out.

Front subframe was a breeze. Came out with just a hammer. All the rear stuff.... torch. My secret to doing bushings ( ive done prob around 50 now) is heat the outside metal of the bushing. Keep heating it all around and keep tapping on the bushing with a hammer. Once the bonding glue between the bushing and metal melts it will slide right through. Barely leaves any residue also. Quick wire wheel and the new bushing slides right in.

Another option is to saw the bushing through so that it breaks it's tension and can easily be hammered out with a socket or screwdriver. May god help you with your damn bushing project. Wear a mask btw.

I would like to know also as I have the same kit. Do these bushing need the outer shell or you have to press the entire bushing out? Pictures would be nice if someone has done the job. Thanks

Outer shell? Unless my memory is bad theres no outer shell. Burn the old bushing out and install the new one.

Only outer shell i remember is in the rear subframe. Mine was pretty rotted so just left it out. Solid as a rock

The subframe and mustache bushings are different from energy control arm bushings. Those require the outer shell to remain. So, they are easier to install.

The energy bushings require the outer shell to be removed. Since I didn't have the proper tools. I dismantled the bushing by removing the pin first with heat. Then to remove the rubber, I cut the rubber around the edges with a box knife then heated the outside with heat gun and then pried with big screw driver. When hot the rubber separated easily. Then, on the bushing outer shell, I hack sawed two slots near each other and use a chisel to peel away that section. It peeled away like a tin can.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back