The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Rear Bumper issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angry Ninja Turtle

Probationary Member
Jun 29, 2014
Greenville, South_Carolina
Looking for suggestions on how to best fill this gap below the Talon Bar. And no I dont want to make it an Eclipse LOL.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You can built a custom plate which fits perfectly or you cut off the piece from the stock bumper and tape it together

I cant really think of anything that would both look good and would also be able to be done without repainting the bumper. The best in terms of asthetics would be to put the stock license surround back in and remold the bumper around it. Barring that, you'd fiberglass a contoured piece to blend the two together and repaint that part. It may be hard to blend with that paint though, I know custom mix paint sucks to color match. That'd be my suggestion, coming from someone completely not into body kits.

Yea im not big into kits either but this what he wanted. Someone else suggested I cut something to fit there and paint it black. Still pondering on a material that will hold up.

Yea im not big into kits either but this what he wanted. Someone else suggested I cut something to fit there and paint it black. Still pondering on a material that will hold up.

Hmm what i've seen people do in the past is use a foam core and mold/shape that to their liking, then put a thin layer of body filler onto that, sand and shape, then a couple layers of fiberglass. Then do all the bodywork normally and paint it whatever color. This way, it can be whatever shape you want. If you're going to fiberglass i'd recommend SMD Sunflash resin, no activator needed, you only need to put it out in the sun and it cures hard as a rock.

http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-sunflash-uv-activated-resin-1-us-quart.html

Hmm what i've seen people do in the past is use a foam core and mold/shape that to their liking, then put a thin layer of body filler onto that, sand and shape, then a couple layers of fiberglass. Then do all the bodywork normally and paint it whatever color. This way, it can be whatever shape you want. If you're going to fiberglass i'd recommend SMD Sunflash resin, no activator needed, you only need to put it out in the sun and it cures hard as a rock.

http://www.wccaraudio.com/smd-sunflash-uv-activated-resin-1-us-quart.html
Hey thanks bmxfelon420. I going to look at that site right now. Definitely sounds like it will work. The foam buumper reinforcement is actually whats showing there so I just need to build it up a little.

I know you mentioned you didn't want to "make it an Eclipse," but why not just buy the center section, and repaint/wrap/vinyl that to whatever you wish it to look like. At least it would fill in the gap you're trying to figure out, and probably be least costly.

Depending on how much you wanted to fill, you could cut a plate out of lexan and paint it what ever color you/they want. It will hold up to the times and if it is painted and cleared, it wont yellow like non cleared/painted lexan.

I would go with a foam, mold it to the shape of the gap, and wrap it in some carbon fiber tape.

Thanks for all the advice. I came up with something that may work. I just finished blocking the bumper and primed it. Painting it to today and should have ready by tomorrow. I will post pics soon.

How did the bumper turn out?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back