The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

Raspberry Pi running ECMLink on Headunit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOT END CAPTURE AND POWER DOWN FUNCTIONALITY!

You can now officially log headless with a raspberry pi. The button must be held for up to 5 seconds (5+ to be safe) since the program checks every 5 seconds to "see" if you pressed the button. If it was instant, it would use too many CPU resources. I cant think/find/dissect of a better way to do this, especially for free.

Basically create a script, make it executable, and auto start it to monitor the pin (gpio 31)

Make a directory for the script:

In termainal:
Code:
sudo mkdir /home/pi/Scripts

Make shell script:
Code:
sudo nano /home/pi/Script/shutdown.sh

In the NANO editor you need to type all this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

#setup pins
echo "31" > /sys/class/gpio/export
echo "in" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction
echo "high" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/direction

#check gnd-31 jumper every 5 sec.  Do nothing if no jumper
while [ "$(cat /sys/class/gpio/gpio31/value)" != '0' ]
do
sleep 5
done

#ecmlink stop log
DISPLAY=:0 echo key F12 |xte
sleep 5

#Pi shutdown
poweroff &

exit 0
Next create some autostart lines in:
Code:
sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE/autostart

The file should now look like this:
Code:
@lxpanel --profile LXDE
@pcmanfm --desktop --profile LXDE
@xscreensaver -no-splash

@sudo /home/pi/Desktop/ECMLink/begin/launch_link
@sh /home/pi/Desktop/ECMLink/begin/syncit.sh
@sudo /home/pi/Desktop/ECMLink/begin/start_capture

@unclutter –idle 5 –root

[COLOR="Red"]@sudo /home/pi/Scripts/shutdown.sh[/COLOR]

Attachments

• PinsShutdown.jpg
    PinsShutdown.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 269
Last edited by a moderator:
Got it all setup. Here's the first glove-box attempt. Very inefficient use of space but whatever, it works. Next goal will be be a small form factor case so I can actually use the glove box for gloves and such.

Blue board is the adjustable voltage regulator. Red board is the ignition triggered 12v cutoff. After 2 minutes, everything is shutdown. The red board still draws the current equivalent of a single led or less when "shutdown".

In retrospect, There is a very rare intermittent problem of the SD card vibrating loose I think. The pi will freeze or half boot when this occurs. A hard reset and pressing the SD card in solves this.

Attachments

• CAR PI.jpg
    CAR PI.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 334
  • PI Scheme.jpg
    PI Scheme.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 344
How did this go for you, do you still use it, and does it log at full speed? I am thinking of doing this for my Rally car, to log all the runs in a day, without the laptop, etc. Do you have an image of the card for the PI, to save me all the work? :pray:

Thanks!

If you have Pi, with a supported wireless card, you could always broadcast wifi as an AP and have your smartphone connect to it, and have a Apache host a webpage that has basic controls to start/stop the capture. It would allow you to run headless ..... yet still have some visibility and control.

I'm running ECMLink in Kali on a full laptop, though, with the screen removed ....

If something like this would interest any one, this is more of my field than mechanics ever has been, so I'm happy to help.

:)

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

From what I can tell, (Can't test yet, I am still waiting for a few momentary buttons) I should be able to start and stop logging with another button, on the dash, using another GPIO pin, and assigning it to a file that does something like this...

DISPLAY=:0 echo key F12 |xte

Does that seem like an option? I don't really want logs all day long, but would like to be able to start them before a rally stage without any effort, as I will be busy racing, theoretically. :)

Been out of the dsm game almost a decade now... Damn this is cool. Almost cool enough to make really consider running my Mazdaspeed on DSM Link (The allready run a Mitsu CAS and coilpacks. Couple people have done it.)

So I recently found out about this amazing in car setup so I am trying it myself.
I am having some trouble getting ECMLink to open/run.
I have a rp 3 model b with the rp 7" touchscreen running off the rp 3.
I've tried following the instructions carefully and even reformatted and tried again but it seems like I'm missing something.
I am thinking that the original zip file for ecmlink was something different from the website because tlone of the formats will open on my rp. And since the link is no longer valid I'm not sure what format it was suppose to be.
I believe I'm running into problems wit either java or just an incompatible ecmlink format. Any help is appreciated.

Does anyone have a valid download for ECMLink that works on Raspberry Pi (ARM proc)? I've found multiple links, but all them have failed.

Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back