The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

2G Random sputter

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexGsxCummins

Proven Member
May 31, 2014
Bremerton, Washington
Alright I've been chasing this issue sense I've owned the car... here's what's going on. Seems mostly to happen when it's 1) raining (or after I wash my car) 2. Any time I start the car and drive away in 1st gear or 3) I downshift coming up to a turn and once I start going again the issue comes up. The car will start sputtering and bucking for a slight moment. Now this is what I've done to try and fix it. Spark plugs 6s, new wires, new coil, different injectors, new fuel pump, new fuel filter, boost leak test, fuel pressure test, tested stock fpr for holding vacuums and no fuel leaking. I have only done this test once and the car didn't have any issues while driving, I unplugged my MAS. The car didn't hesitate or sputter at all but then again I was extremely babying the car while driving. Any ideas?

I have a PTU in my storage that I can't find of course but I'm thinking i may be trying that next... I know there was a small amount of oil in my intake pipe so that's what made me concerned about the MAS

I read a few people say a new alt fixed this issue...I know when I roll up my windows my lights will dim a little. I'll try to check voltage before I buy anything else

I unplugged my MAS. The car didn't hesitate or sputter at all but then again I was extremely babying the car while driving. Any ideas?

I'm thinking this might be your answer. If the MAF is a good unit, then it should be sputtering and stumbling, trying to stall when unplugged. There would be a highly noticeable change (unless you have Speed Density and no MAF). If you have any DSM friends, see if they'd let you barrow a MAF to see if there's a positive change in your drivability.

I unplugged it while the car was off, I did it while running once and it died plugging it back in
I'm thinking this might be your answer. If the MAF is a good unit, then it should be sputtering and stumbling, trying to stall when unplugged. There would be a highly noticeable change (unless you have Speed Density and no MAF). If you have any DSM friends, see if they'd let you barrow a MAF to see if there's a positive change in your drivability.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back