The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

420A Random misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glennsanity

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 20, 2012
belleville, New_Jersey
hi guys, im new to this site and to the dsm community. i need help on my car, i recently had my check engine light on and it says my engine has random misfires. so i changed my spark plugs and its wires and had the codes erased. after driving a couple of miles, the light went back on. we tried to erase it again and it just keeps coming back after running like around 70-80 mph. what should i do? thanks guys. btw i have a 97 eclipse gs non turbo

As always, start from front to back. Check your coil pack, then trace yourself from there. Either bad connection, something has a short circuit, or something else that may be causing it like a vacuum leak.

thanks man. i'll have it check or might as well get a new one because i haven't changed the coil packs since i bought the car.

well i bought the car last thursday, the tumblers are so worn that the key only stays in the on position if you kinda "butterfly" it untill it catches a little ledge. the girl who sold it to me told me this, and i drove it home, seemed mechanically sound. however, 2 days later it won't start. cranks, sounds like its turning over but no start. i took out the battery put it on a 24 hour cycle charger, put it back in and tried again. nothing. I was thinking tomorrow after school ill check for spark (i just pull out the plugs, have a friend turn to key and watch to make sure the spark right?) from there i was thinking i would check to see if shes getting fuel but i dont know how. any suggestions, or corrections?

well i bought the car last thursday, the tumblers are so worn that the key only stays in the on position if you kinda "butterfly" it untill it catches a little ledge. the girl who sold it to me told me this, and i drove it home, seemed mechanically sound. however, 2 days later it won't start. cranks, sounds like its turning over but no start. i took out the battery put it on a 24 hour cycle charger, put it back in and tried again. nothing. I was thinking tomorrow after school ill check for spark (i just pull out the plugs, have a friend turn to key and watch to make sure the spark right?) from there i was thinking i would check to see if shes getting fuel but i dont know how. any suggestions, or corrections?

Yes, I would start by finding out either of the two you do not have. Fuel or Spark?
Starting with the coil pack then trace back, But the Fuel issue would have needed to started earlier with a smaller/larger sign.

I replaced my coil pack, wires, plugs, iac, tps, crank sensor and everything helped a little but I'm still get random misfires after driving around town for a bit and the longer I drive the worse it gets. Usually it only does it when I hit a bump or I go wot. I don't know if something is getting to hot and messing up a connection or what

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back