The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

ran out of oil and now motor is locked up!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2g boosted life

Probationary Member
Nov 7, 2013
cleveland, Ohio
ok so about 2 days ago i pulled my car out after about 2 months or so being the jack ass i am i forgot to check the oil in the car i drove it around here and there and after a while a couple of buddys of mine were doing burn outs so i joined i was burning out and as soon as im going to switch gears into 2nd gear my car shuts off i cranked it back up and parked it and let it sit running for about 35 to 40 min and then from my engine bay i accelerate it too hear if theres any unsual noises... none at all that i heard of so i turned it off 1 hour later im leaving and i jump on the highway and im in 1st gear and i feel my car bog and loose power so i switched to 2nd gear and rode slowly and out of no were my car shuts off and wont crank up i get it pushed all the way home and the next day im checking it out and i have no oil at all not a drop so i put in 3quarts of oil and try to crank it and seem like my motor is locked up. my timing belt wont even attempt to turn so i figured its locked could it be that or is there any other possibility y it wont start??? and yes i know im a jackass for not checking my oil :ohdamn:

First off..where in the f*ck did you learn to write.. Sentences and paragraphs will go a long way guy...

As for the car, where do I start LOL. It was probably low before you parked it for two months. Did you look to see if you were leaking oil anywhere? Was there a puddle where the car was parked? I would start thinking about doing a tear down since you can't do a leak down or compression check.

Lastly, when is the last time you did maintenance, sounds to me you haven't in a while which in turn you went out and started doing burnouts like a dumbass teen with barely any oil in the car.. No pity sorry, as this could of most likely been prevented. Good luck.

^^^^ Was gonna add trying to manual turning to over but didn't edit quick enough.

You can try to turn over the engine manually. Get a 22mm (i believe it was) to the crank pulley and see if you can turn it over. Expect the worse...

Agreed, the odds are definitely not on your side on this one. Even if you did get it to turn there was definitely damage done. Time to build or start looking for a junkyard motor.

When was the last time you checked the oil in it before you drove it?
Did you notice any oil leaks anywhere?
If you can't turn the motor over by hand meaning with a 1/2 " drive ratchet then you probably seized it. I would drain the oil check for metal shavings.
If you can turn it over by hand then you probably have some electrical issues. Bad ground, possibly.
But start with seeing if you can turn it over BY Hand.

Seems to me if you were able to drive it for that long you would either have a huge oil leak but you should of seen the oil leaking when you put in the new oil? You didn't mention anything about huge blue clouds while you were driving.
But I doubt your engine would have ran that long without oil in it. Would have seized or made horrible noises in minutes I would imagine.

But I can't say for sure. Let us know what you find. Hopefully just an electrical issue.

how much will a motor cost me at a junkyard? or whould i be better off rebuilding my own?

That all depends on your goals.

But if you plan on rebuilding yours, plan on having machine work done to block, crank, head.
Depending on how bad your crank is you may need a new one, bearings, new piston rings depending on your goals rods, pistons. Then there is short block cleaning, decking, hot tanked,
head, cleaned, decked, possible rebuild - parts depend on your goals, then you have front case/oil pump needs to be new, Oil filter housing replaced, oil feed and drain to turbo replaced, turbo needs rebuilt (again depends on goals you might want to upgrade).
Basically anything that sees oil needs to be rebuilt or replaced. It can get expensive.
Plus all new gaskets, lubricants, the right tools, place to do it, time.

I don't know how much a built engine would cost or just a stock one from a part out or junkyard would cost. Decisions.
But before you make plans check that engine see if you can turn it over via hand.:thumb:

You've really given us no more info than low oil and everyone jumps to the conclusion that your engine is seized. How do you know the engine doesn't even try to turn over? The starter can apply a helluva lot more torque to the engine than you can. When you crank it does the starter just click or not make any noise at all?

After looking at your parts list you have on it. I would pray you didn't seize it up. If you did, you could easily trade everything you have for a junkyard motor, probably not paying too much (couple hundred)

So your engine is seized up. You DID brake a rod, which is jamming the engine. So your bottom end is pretty much junk metal now. Rebuilding it is out of the question in my opinion. The forces required to brake a rod and jam the crank are enough to crack or at the very least fracture your block. The money it would cost to get the block properly checked would be better spent in acquiring a used running engine.

Check your turbo too, chances are it is trashed as well. I made that mistake along time ago, rebuilt the motor and ran all the crap that was still caught in the turbo through my new rebuild. No one mentioned it and I didn't think that far into it.

So your engine is seized up. You DID brake a rod, which is jamming the engine.

I'm going to have to disagree here, a broken rod is not the only thing that could cause an engine to sieze. A spun rod/main bearing can also lock up an engine pretty tight.(I have seen this multiple times on the engines that come back to the build area here at work off of tests)

Also to the OP, your mod list claims that you've got a Buscher racing 6 bolt swapped into the car, and you're contemplatin a junk yard engine???? The way it sounds this car is not your primary mode of transport, so it's not something that you've got to have a quick turn around time on. So why would you not tear the engine down and see if it's able to be salvaged before you jump to scrapping it for one out of a junk yard? If you're gung ho on pulling and replacing the engine, I'd be interested in taking a look at it and maybe buying it off of you.

I doubt a rod broke, commonly when a rod breaks, the block gets cracked to busted open from a chunk of a rod being slung around 360* oil and coolant end up on the ground.

I would have to guess, and agree with others, that you may have seized the bearings to the crank.

Or if you had any luck, you seized the cams in the head.

I would pull the VC, then remove the cam caps and look for galled caps, or just black caps.

If this is the case, you have a very slight chance that the bottom end is ok.

yes thats what im going to do first im going to tear it apart and see if i can save it before i jump to buying a junk yard engine.. and im in no rush because its my weekend toy. hopefuly i can save it and rebuild it

I ended up busting an oil pan on a rock, in an old car I had. Thought I could make it to town before all the oil ran out. Well I didn't. Ended up locking the motor up. What I did was pulled the spark plugs, dropped some oil down the spark plug whole. Then I would try and turn the motor over by the crank pulley nut. I would ease into it. Meaning I got the motor to turn a little then I would add a little more oil and try to turn it over more. I would let the oil soak in tho, like a rust bolt or nut.

Long story short I got the car running again but the sad part was I ended up replacing all the bearings a short time later.

How bad did the cylinder walls look after this? Or did you just pull the oil pan off and roll the new bearing in without tearing th engine donw to check for damage?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back