The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

1G Radiator Fans Not turning on

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoostedTT91

15+ Year Contributor
Aug 2, 2004
Elysburg, Pennsylvania
My two radiator Fans which are hooked up to a thermo sensor in the radiator are not turning on. I'm not sure if the harness is plugged into the right harness on the harness or not. The harness that's next to the ps headlight was the one that I assumed was the correct one but not sure. Can anyone confirm on a 91 engine harness which connector is for the fans?

I believe the fan on the drivers side is for the a/c, and the fan on the pass side is for the radiator. You might want to double check that. Well since it's wired in see if turning the a/c switch on turns your fans on, oh I read again and I think your wired right. There's also a few relays in the fuse box in engine bay. You may want to check there and see if you can get them to work. Are you sure the car is up to temp to even turn the fans on?

The connector has 12v going to it and it does not kick on with the ac button or temperature up to 220 degrees

Do you hear the relay click over but nothing happens? If not check the relay as DSMkauai said. I don't think the a/c fan kicks on only when you push the a/c button, that fan turns on during certain parameters also. If you have DSMLink you can try to turn the fans on manually through the computer.

Iv ha this happen on a few friends vehicals and even ones quad, most just take it to a shop and get them to fix it but definitely see if its a wiring issue or a fuse or something like that but worst comes to worst you could wire it up to a manual toggle switch thats what a friend of mine did when he notices it getting hot or just after a certain amount of time he flips it on, hope this helps!

Take a paperclip and jump the connector to see if the fans turn on/work correctly. If you hard-wired them you can just pierce the rubber on the outside of the wire and bridge them, your fans should turn on or they are bad (since you tested 12V was coming in).

Did your OEM fans work before swapping?

It could be your ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature sensor) which tells your ECU the temp and when to turn the fans on.
There are 2 separate ones. One sensor goes to your dash to show the temperature ONLY. The other sends a signal to the ECU to control the fans.
Both are located in the on the same elbow where your upper radiator hose runs to.

This one is for your ECU.
http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...linders-u-2-0l-mfi-turbo-dohc/127100_0_18589/
This is for your dash.
http://www.autozone.com/engine-mana...nders-u-2-0l-mfi-turbo-dohc/19148_77401_8456/

They are the same name in the computer though, so make sure you tell them the part #.

Did you wire both fans into the passenger side plug?

I wired my flex-a-lite twin fan system in the exact same configuration as stock using the chassis fan plugs on both sides of the car. The drivers side activates with the AC button/switch. In order for this to work correctly, The ac button must be activated and the cabin fan (blower motor) switch must also be activated in order for the driver side (AC) fan to work.

The passenger side fan will come on when the temperature of the radiator temperature sensor reaches 180*F +

refer to section 7 in the link below.
http://www.scribd.com/doc/15602877/dtm

Which pins have 12 volts? Use this diagram to help, notice the radiator fan connector view is towards the bottom left of the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• imagesWLinks.gif
    imagesWLinks.gif
    55.1 KB · Views: 1,179
I wire my twin fan to the passenger/Ac oem setup using oem plug connectors. It worked fine for awhile but all of sudden wouldn't work one day. Turn out that the oem plug connector couldn't handle the current and melted. I end up using a heavy gauge wired connectors and also wired in an extra relay.

check the relay and if its good and you cant figure it out just wire the fans to a switch and mount it in the center console my step bros fiero gt wAS like that and i no on my 91 laser there are two sensors to control the fans ones on the bottom of the rad the others on the thermo houseing hope this helped

How do you turn the fans on through dsmlink. The connector that's part of the harness that plugs into the fans has 12v. Only thing I can think of is the thermo switch.
Is it possible to wire the fans up to run using the ac switch?[DOUBLEPOST=1415054440][/DOUBLEPOST]I bought the car as a rolling shell so I don't know if they worked before. I tested the fans with a battery and they do work, just not turning on. What temperature are they supposed to kick on at

You can cut the two wires leading to the thermo switch connector and bridge them together, but the fans will always run when the key is in the "On" position (not ideal). Or you can cut the same two wires and run them to a 12V switch in the cabin and turn the fans on manually when you notice the car overheating (again not ideal). Or you can just replace the thermo switch and not have to worry about it again.

Only thing I can think of is the thermo switch.
check continuity in thermo switch. Temp under 160, there should be no continuity. if there is replace it. At normal operating temp, check continuity again there should be continuity. If not replace the switch

STRAIGHT FROM MANUAL: Engine cooling fan(s) and circuit check
1. The engine cooling fan(s) are controlled by a fan motor relay and a rad fan thermo switch. The two fans operate separately.coolant reaches pr-determined temp, the switch opens the ground return for the fan motor relay, completing the circuit
2. check the fuses
3. to test the fan motor, unplug the electrical connector us fused jumper wires to connect the fan directlyto the battery. if the fan still does not work, replace the motor
4. if the motor tested ok, the fault lies in the fan thermo switch, the relay, or the wiring harness..remove the relay and bridge the indicated terminals with a jumper wire. if the fan motor now works, replace the relay.
5. turn on the ignition switch, unplug the electrical connector fron the rad fan thermo switch and using a jumper wire or paper clip, connect the terminals together.
6. if the fan does not operate, check the wiring. remove the rad fan relay and connect a jumper wire from terminal #2 the the battery + pos. terminal and connect terminal #4 to - neg. terminal of battery
7. using an ohmmeter, check for continuity between terminals 1 and 3. there should be continuity
8. Remove the battery leads(no voltage) and check for continuity between terminals 1 and 3. there should be no continuity
9. Also, check for continuity between terminals 2 and 4.There should be continuity. If any of the test results are incorrect, replace the relay. If all the test results are correct, check the thermo switch.
10. Unplug the electrical connector from the thermo switch.
11. With the engine cold (below 160) use an ohmmeter and check for continuity across the terminal of the switch. There should be no continuity. If there is replace the thermo switch
12. Start the engine and allow it to reach normal operating temp. Check continuity of the switch again- it should have continuity. I not, replace thermo switch
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is all I got, hope it helps

Attachments

• DSCF0417.JPG
    DSCF0417.JPG
    955.5 KB · Views: 711
I ordered a new fan switch so I'll see if that does it or if their is something else wrong too

Ok I put a new fan temp switch in the radiator and still doesn't work. If i unplug the connector to the switch and jump them together the fans turn on. What's the deal here?

Because you said temp switch in the rad I'm assuming you meant the thermo switch? Did you just replace it or was original bad? A little more detail would help. How did you test it, Did you test the thermo switch at normal operating temp or better? Did you check for continuity of the switch(again because it's new)in open/close position? Did your relay test ok?

yeah i got the correct sensor. I got it working, turns out the aftermarket sensors at least from autozone are a higher temp switch. It doesn't turn on till 200 degrees measured at the thermostat

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back