The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G rack and pinion seems tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM B

10+ Year Contributor
May 22, 2012
Minneapolis, Minnesota
I am wondering how easy/hard it is for 2g eclipse owners to push in and pull out the rack and pinion with it disconnected from the steering knuckles. For some reason, mine seems very hard to push in and pull out from lock to lock.

To give you some background into my 96 eclipse, I just replaced all ball joints and installed poly bushing everywhere possible in the front end with solid bushings in the subframe. I also removed the steering column while I was refurbishing the interior. Now, when I drive it, the steering wheel won't return to center. So I started disconnecting front end components to isolate the source of not allowing the steering wheel to return to center.

With the tie rods disconnected from the knuckle, the knuckle rotates very easy so no binding noted, but when I go to push in and pull out the rack and pinion, it seems very tight, yet when I turn the rack via the steering wheel, it seems to turn easy. It is so hard that I feel this is source of not allowing the steering wheel to return to center. I do not see anything binding in the steering column, but it is difficult to tell. I did bleed the system, so I do not think air is hiding out in the rack.

I was just wondering if anyone has encountered this and can offer advise, or can just tell me how hard it is to push their tires from side to side with their front end lifted. Thank you

I have made few checks since I posted this, but I am still baffled. When I turn the wheels lock to lock, I do not hear the Power steering pump “whine” as I would expect when the Power steering pump is at max pressure. What I believe that is telling me is the power steering pump is not getting loaded up or perhaps not working. The pump "appears" to be pumping fluid, but I did not check the pressure with a pressure gauge so I am unsure if the pump is good. When I drive at lower speeds my turns do seem “assisted” by the power steering, but I am not certain. I am unfamiliar with the hydraulics in the rack and pinion to troubleshoot this. Perhaps, if no-one has experienced this, someone could at the very least explain that to me.

Thanks

You probably need to rebuild your power steering pump. Last time I bought the rebuild kit from the dealer if I remember correctly it was 15 dollars. It's basically just some O-rings and shaft seals.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back