The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

Race seat for big guy

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsmfreak1984

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 27, 2008
las vegas, Nevada
whats up guys?

I have been looking to get a couple of race seats for the almighty eclipse, however, I am kind of a big guy( 6'3" 250 pounds ) and just cant seem to find a manufacturer that makes any comfortable seats for a big guy like me. Any of you guys out there no of any companies that make seats like this??

how do you even fit in the eclipse in the first place? Lol.. Try Recaro I liked them the seat isn't as narrow and it isnt one of the ones that hug your body Im fairly big about 190lbs so it may work for you..

Honestly any racing seat will do as long as they seat low, because the stock dsm seats are known to be high, so if you get a set of Recaro's or Carbeous wil be fine. Most of the race seats are pretty low.

i dont get it im 6'3 about 250 as well and i fit just fine. My head doesnt touch the roof and i really dont even feel tight inside the car. Maybe i can just tolerate small spaces better but it doesnt seem bad to me. And i have the stock seats, not the most comfortable but not the worst ive ever sit in.

i dont get it im 6'3 about 250 as well and i fit just fine. My head doesnt touch the roof and i really dont even feel tight inside the car. Maybe i can just tolerate small spaces better but it doesnt seem bad to me. And i have the stock seats, not the most comfortable but not the worst ive ever sit in.

Maybe your more flexible than the other guy ROFL.. Some people just like to have a llittle more room

Corbeau: Forza

As a rule of thumb, the Forza racing seat will fit up to a 36 inch waist , while the Forza Wide will fit up to a 42 inch waist.

Corbeau: FX1 Pro

As a rule of thumb, the FX1 Pro racing seat will fit up to a 36 inch waist, the FX1 will fit up to a 38 inch waist and the FX1 Wide (black only) will fit up to a 42 inch waist.

Corbeau: LG1

As a rule of thumb, the LG1 will fit up to a 38-inch waist, while the LG1 Wide will fit up to a 42-inch waist.

Corbeau: VX2000

As a rule of thumb, the VX2000 will fit up to a 42-44 inch waist while still comfortably fitting smaller drivers.

I think that torso length has more to do with how you fit than overall height. Also, just my 2 cents, but in my experience sparco makes the best seats, although recaro is a pretty reputable company as well.

I think that torso length has more to do with how you fit than overall height. Also, just my 2 cents, but in my experience sparco makes the best seats, although recaro is a pretty reputable company as well.

Sparco and Recaro are the two companies I usually only hear good things about, so go with them.

To the OP, I was wondering how you feel in the stock seat? I feel kinda squished, and my head touches the roof, I'm only 6'1'' and 230.

It's a tight squeeze actualy, only got about an inch of head room (screwed if I ever roll it over) but I love the car so much Im willing to deal with it.

Man thanks for all the replies guys!

I'm 6'-0" and 210lbs, I used to weigh 250. I have a set of corbeau a4 seats in my car, they are designed to fit up to a 34-36" waist and I find them quite comfortable now that I lost a few pounds.

If you want a true "racing" seat, check out Kirkey aluminum seats. They offer them in many different hip widths.

I'm guessing, though, that you're looking for a padded, cloth wrapped seat. If that's the case, just look for something that has very little containment.

Examples:

Very little containment: PIC

Good amount of containment: PIC

I'm 6'2" and weigh 245 lbs, and I use seats like in the first picture and I fit comfortably. There's no way my fat arse would fit in the seat in that second picture.

Last edited:
Momo Speed 2 racing seats are very nice. I have a set for my car. But they are pretty expensive so if you got the cash i recommend them. :thumb:

I'd look at a Sparco Evo 2 or Evo 3 seat. They are sized for bigger fellas. You probably should find a shop that has them in a showroom to sit in them.

If you want a true "raing" seat, check out Kirkey aluminum seats. They offer them in many different hip widths.

I'm guessing, though, that you're looking for a padded, cloth wrapped seat. If that's the case, just look for something that has very little containment.

Examples:

Very little containment: PIC

Good amount of containment: PIC

I'm 6'2" and weigh 245 lbs, and I use seats like in the first picture and I fit comfortably. There's no way my fat arse would fit in the seat in that second picture.

Id like to go with the full race seat bit, for a little more protection. However the wife still has to agree to ride in the car (darn wives!!!!) otherwise it'd be gutted, straight piped the whole shebang.

I'm 6 3 280. Used to be a extreme power lifter and professional fighter. I have very wide shoulders and a narrow waist. I can't fit in a 1G. My ex had one and it was too cramped for me. The 2G Talon fits me like a glove but can be kinda a bi*** to get in and out of. I have adjusted my driving position to be more reclined. Not gangstar lean but more sloped than most people seats that I have seen. The top of my helmet sits flush with the ceiling of my car when I autocross. I want to get a set of seats. Hell, I'll settle for just one seat that fits me good and doesn't weigh a ton or cost $600! And a lower seating position is mandatory! My biggest problem is I fit in the racing seats at the hips but I can't fit my shoulders in.

Im a big boy.

6'4+ 330+

I drive a 1g and a 2g with a sunroof!!

And I fit fine in both, getting in and out is a little fun, and turning the wheel 360* is a task in the 2g but it all works.

A little bit of a lean back with the seat touching the rear seats, and a slight lean to the side and Im good!

My friend got some Spearco seats, both the front ones. And well now, I cant ride in his car nor tune it for him..

So hes replacing the passenger seat ahaha!

I think the stock seats hold me just fine beacuse of my size, but the seat belt does a horrid job.

I need some kind of harness to keep me in place.

I run Corbeau GTS II seats in my 1g (and I used to have them in my 94 Cobra too). I'm 6'2" 260lbs, and I work out pretty religiously (ie, wide shoulders and wide lats) and they fit me just right. The other thing I like about them is they look almost stock.

I just got kirky pro drag seats 20" wide, would a 20" wide seat fit fine with the 2g interior? Center consol and door plastics? If they dont fit with the interior i guess itll Come out anyway. curious while i wait for it to ship. Just thought I'd bring this back. I'm 6'2" 260 38" waste
Oh and i dont have any problems with the stock seats as is given my size, but at the track with a helmet i graze the headliner a little bit the kirkey should sit lower, but be more up right than how i normally sit so i hope it compensates

Also, does anyone know the widest part on the stock leather 2g seat? I'm about 120 miles from my dsm at the moment.

I'm 6'3 275 and I Hated the factory leather seats in my 2g. I bought a set of suede 4g seats to put in. I also cut the back rail the the seat bolts to out. I now have miles of headroom, even with a helmet on :D

I would suggest a sparco seat my buddy is about your size and had trouble with the recaro seats

Dang eagleturbo I thought I was the only really big guy driving dsm. I'm 6'6" and 340 in a 2g. My torso is long so I don't fit perfect. Bought a sparco r100 and it sits well and I'm 44" waist. Also it's reclinable and has a thin bottom cushion. But gotta make custom mounts for it to sit low.

Im the one that brought this back cause i ha a question, if you didnt notice this is an old thread, how about answering some of my questions?

Otherwise incase anyone idnt notice this thread is from 08.

Anyonr have measurements of the stock 2g leather? I meed to know if my kirky 20" is gonna fit with the interior pieces.

Anyone else run ing kirky pro street drag 41 series?

Yea, I really don't care for the stock 2g leather seat's, I heard the stock cloth seat are shorter, If so I don't no by how much.

Frogurt, I'm like a 46 in the waist, but I still love my 2g

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back