The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Quick Release Bumper Cover Kit

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Overview:
I've seen several variations of "bumper quick release" kits on many different vehicles. While installation may be a bit more complicated than others, this kit is by far the cleanest I've seen. For those of us who have to remove our bumpers too often for upgrades or maintenance and hate all the steps, this kit makes the job a lot easier to deal with while maintaining a clean exterior look.

I've also noticed with almost every bumper I've seen, that the corners near the fender tend to weaken/rip with constant tension on the bolt going into the fender. With this kit, it makes a stronger connection to the fender that prevents tearing of the bumper.

Where to buy it:
Overkill Fabrication Quick Release Bumper Cover Kit

There are kits available for 1g's & 2g's. However, this tutorial is written based on the 2g kit.

**I did not make this kit. The seller/fabricator has an original "How-To" written up on the website above, this one is just more detailed.***

Tools Recommended:
⦁ Drill
⦁ Dremel rotary tool with 561 multi-purpose bit
⦁ 1/8" and 1/4" drill bit
⦁ Step drill bit
⦁ Rivet gun for 1/8" rivets
⦁ Blue painter's tape
⦁ Marker/felt tip pen

This is everything that comes in your kit:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

1. Take a piece of blue painter's tape and place it on the top of the bumper cover where the mounting holes are. Place the mounting bolts through the top side, through the aluminum spacers.

2. With your marker or felt tip pen, trace around the aluminum spacer. Mark 2 lines perpendicular to the bumper cover face to connect the circle. This is what will be removed.

3. Place the bracket on the inside of the bumper cover with the aluminum spacers fitted into the holes. This will give you your drill points for the outside Dzus fasteners. Mark the center with your marker/pen.

4. Using the 1/4" bit, drill through each marked hole. This will be your pilot hole for the step drill bit.

5. Using the step drill bit, slowly drill your way up to a 5/8" hole. Do this to both holes.

6. Now you need to remove the bumper material around the stock mounting holes. Use what works best for you, but a dremel with the mutli-purpose cutting bit was convenient for me. This would also be the time to remove the guide "pins" on the bumper itself that are normally used to line the bumper up with the fender. You won't need them any more with this kit. (You'll notice in the photos, I didn't cut them off until I actually mounted the bumper to the car.)

7. Now we're going to attach the s-spring to the brackets. For each hole, you will have: 2 long rivets, 1 s-spring, and 2 washers. Cones facing up, use the longest rivets supplied in the kit. Feed them through a rivet washer (this keeps the rivet from pulling through the spring) before putting them through the top of the spring.

8. Fasten rivets with a rivet gun. This is what it will look like when attached properly.

9. Place a piece of blue tape over the top of the Dzus holes in the face of the bumper cover. Cut a slit through the holes.

10. Push the Dzus fastener through the slit in the tape and mark the holes for the rivets. After marking the holes, measure them to the top of the bumper to make sure they're all of equal distance.

11. Using the 1/8" bit, drill through each hole.

img_20130707_163656_zps503209ba-jpg.251509

img_20130707_163759_zps7bb48d6b-jpg.251510

img_20130707_164421_zps57893004-jpg.251511

12. Remove the blue tape. Attach the Dzus fasteners to the front side of the bumper cover, and the rivet washers on the back side. The rivet will also go through the back side.

img_20130707_164302_zpsabeb9ef9-jpg.251512

13. After all the Dsuz fasteners are attached to the bumper, now its time to attach the bracket to the fender. The aluminum washers will go between the fender and the bracket.

img_20130707_165928_zpsda2f0f12-jpg.251513

img_20130707_170214_zpsfb954300-jpg.251514

14. Slide on the bumper cover. You may have to adjust the angle and location of the bracket slightly so the bumper cover will line up with the fender and slide in and out freely. Rotate the Dzus fasteners so they line up with the retaining s-spring and twist to tighten. You're done!

img_20130707_170552_zpsb637caf3-jpg.251515

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back