The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

1G Quick question on wrist pin sizes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakk220

10+ Year Contributor
Nov 13, 2010
Akron, Ohio
So I know that the 2g wrist pins are 22mm and the 1g wrist pins are 21mm. I am doing forged internals on my girlfriends 6 bolt (eagle rods / Manley 8.5:1 pistons) and wanted to know if there was some benefit to running the larger wrist pin pistons. As in is it any stronger / worth upgrading to? Or does it not matter when going forged?

From what I understand I would have to change out the oil squirters to evo ones to run the 2g style pistons with the 1g rods. Which would be a little extra cost.

The 22mm pins are stronger, but the main benefit to most people is that there are more options for 2g/evo pistons.

Most aftermarket pistons require some bending of the 1g squirters.

The 22mm pins are stronger, but the main benefit to most people is that there are more options for 2g/evo pistons.

Most aftermarket pistons require some bending of the 1g squirters.

Well in that case then I might as well get the 22mm. I don't like the idea of bending the squirters, so I might just get a set of the evo ones. I would hate for one to break off LOL. So I would just buy pistons for a 7 bolt and then get the eagle rods with the 22mm wrist pin correct?

And when changing out the squirters all I would have to do is just change the squirter itself? I can re-use the banjo bolt correct?

Yes the 22mm wrist pins and a little stronger. Really just depends on your built plans on if you need to make a investment like that. Normally you would buy new rods with a 6 bolt bottom and a 7 bolt top and then yes run a 7 bolt piston.

Yes the 22mm wrist pins and a little stronger. Really just depends on your built plans on if you need to make a investment like that. Normally you would buy new rods with a 6 bolt bottom and a 7 bolt top and then yes run a 7 bolt piston.

Thanks for the input. I will probably just upgrade to the Evo squirters and then run 7 bolt Manley pistons and Eagle rods. I will be using the 6 bolt head though.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back