The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

quick evo 3 intake manifold and throttle body question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gst fat

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2007
Miami, Florida
okay so im running an evo3 IM and Evo3 TB,what throttle body gasket should i be using? a 1g? ### right now theres a 2g gasket on it and i beleive its leaking

Why don't you just use the..evo 3 gaskets?

Trust me the evo3 gasket is super hard to find

Auto Zone and O'Reilly's don't exactly stock JDM Evo III gaskets, but hey, if your local car parts store in Iowa does then go with the Evo III gaskets Absit. :thumb:

:dsm:

Fair enough. I retract my wise-ass statement, I couldn't find one after briefly searching either.
Iowa, the JDM capital of the country. Who knew?

Evo 3 gasket - MD194578

This is the same part number as a 1g made in the range of 1992.08.1 - 1994.05.1. Not super hard to find.

I have an evo 3 intake and am wondering, since the 1g turbo tb gasket is easier to get, what year gasket should I get? Stm has an option for 1990 1g or 91-94 1g.

91-94
A 90 TB will not work on a EVOIII intake.

...you can get all the intake gaskets you need for $7 at your local auto parts store and it won't get brittle and blow out under boost after a year or more of heat cycles. Permatex Ultra Black
If you're stuck on ordering OE composite gaskets then you need the inner gasket, the outer gasket would go between the UICP and TB but since you're installing a 1g N/T TB you'd use the inner gasket between the IM and TB and a silicon coupler between your UICP and TB.

...you can get all the intake gaskets you need for $7 at your local auto parts store and it won't get brittle and blow out under boost after a year or more of heat cycles. Permatex Ultra Black
If you're stuck on ordering OE composite gaskets then you need the inner gasket, the outer gasket would go between the UICP and TB but since you're installing a 1g N/T TB you'd use the inner gasket between the IM and TB and a silicon coupler between your UICP and TB.

Thank you gofer! I have The Right Stuff. I'm assuming that'll work just fine then?

The Right Stuff is gonna stick that together like super glue. Its very good sealer but hard to remove when ever that time is. I am a huge fan of Permatex Ultra Grey. It is anti-vibration resistant and sets up quick and is thicker than most RTV. The black may be the very same way but I have not used it. The Ultra Grey is always in my tool box! My son used Permatex Orange once on his BOV and we could run the car without the bolts in in so RTV will seal and not blow out. Maybe I like Grey because it blends in well also but Gofer's idea is a good one!

Thank you gofer! I have The Right Stuff. I'm assuming that'll work just fine then?
as long as it is compatible with any chemicals that will/could come in contact with it, and it is within the products temperature rating, I don't see why it would not.

Also worth noting that you can also get a roll of gasket material from most auto parts stores across the country, all you will need to do is lightly pound the throttle body shape to the roll of gasket material, and it will leave a perfect imprint on the material for you to trace cut with scissors/scalpel.

I understand that it can be at tedious, for some people , working with a roll of gasket maker, but in some cases you don't have the luxury of time waiting for special orders to arrive, but if you can wait, get the gasket that's made specifically for your vehicles application.

With the above stated in mind, gasket maker, gasket material roll, and the can of copper gasket spray, all 3 are great additions to the home/DIY mechanics arsenal, I like to stock a variety of all of them in case I'm working on something and it somehow gets messed up, or something blows out and I need a temporary fix etc, It's never a bad idea to be prepared.

Last edited:
My 90 TB leaked EVERYWHERE. Plus the fact that all sensors for my 90 TB were expensive so my personal advice would be to NOT try to use one on a a EVOIII Intake. 91-94 TB's are the better choice.

Leaking shaft seals or other issues pertaining to one unit alone isn't enough to condone the use and say it's impossible to use a 1990 throttle body on a 2g style intake manifold. It was incredibly simple to create a metal flange that sandwiched two gaskets and sealed the leaking surface. The design of the 90 throttle body is what makes it undesirable to use on a 2g flanged intake, but to say it's impossible to use is a farce when in fact it's quite simple.

I own 2 90's but I dont use 90 TB's. Only in a terrible pinch would I even want to try to make one work on a EVOIII manifold. But if it's all you have, well anything is possible. I have 2 90 TB's collecting dust. Sensors are just stupid priced for them.

I own 2 90's but I dont use 90 TB's. Only in a terrible pinch would I even want to try to make one work on a EVOIII manifold. But if it's all you have, well anything is possible. I have 2 90 TB's collecting dust. Sensors are just stupid priced for them.

You said they wouldn't work...

91-94
A 90 TB will not work on a EVOIII intake.

I'm saying that's false and provided very simple evidence to prove my point.

Look, I could get in a pissin contest with ya anyday, I said it didn't work on a EVOIII intake and I hate cobling shit together so if you somehow "made" it work, good deal. You "adapted" it to work. Without some stupid adaptor it won't seal at all. I wouldn't ever waste time with a 90 TB. That's just my point.
91-94 bolts right up.
Choose whatever works for you.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back