The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Question about Mitsubond on the oil pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aethro

Probationary Member
Jun 21, 2018
North Adams, Massachusetts
Just a quick question, I'm about to post another order with ExtremePsi.

Would a 3.5oz tube of mitsubond be enough for the oil pan on a 6 bolt? Just wondering if some of you had baught the large tube and had tons left over.

I have never had issues using ultimate black or ultra grey for oil pans. The key is to ensure the bead is consistent. The mating surface le must also be flat and free of oil, dirt, and residual sealant. Wouldn't hurt to use new oil pan fasteners though.

To your question, I have probably used about 1/3 - 1/2 of a 3 oz. Tube taking into account I wipe off excess sealant.

Last edited:
Permatex Ultra Grey for me. Its thicker and anti-vibration resistant. My pan doesn't leak a drop. My recent Saturn rebuild is the same, leakless :)

The key with anything is prep. Make sure the flange is flat and both it and the block are clean.

Follow the manual and run a continuous 3/16" bead in the center groove and around the inside of the holes in the pan. Within 15 mins of applying the RTV assemble the pan to the block so there isn't a skin on the RTV and it can bond to both.

My oil pan is still sealed after 10+ years with no leaks. I wish I could say that about all the rest of the engine.

Ditto. Don't put too little or too much. The 24hr cure is the most important aspect. I personally use black and JB Weld actually makes one (black RTV) that is a fast cure. From my experience, this particular one cures completely in 12 hours. So if you're in a situation where you want the pan to seal fast so you can go do other business with the car, consider that option.

Hondabond HT- it sets up alot quicker than ultra grey, stickier too.

Permatex Ultra Grey for me. Its thicker and anti-vibration resistant. My pan doesn't leak a drop. My recent Saturn rebuild is the same, leakless :)

If thats an old saturn with the actual saturn engine, lots of RTV on it. Front case/timing cover and oil pan... I use to have a supercharged DOHC saturn. fun car, but I never could get it to keep a belt on there got tired of throwing belts every so often.

It is a 2002 SC2 DOHC. Neat internals (like it could have been supercharged) and its buttoned up everywhere with Grey except the VC gasket. Seems to be treating me great so far in the first 3500 miles.
Thanks!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back