The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Question about bore size and rebuilding

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaoticdopey

Proven Member
Sep 29, 2014
Lancaster, California
ok so to start i had a valve drop and lodge itself into 1 of my Ross pistons, it put a hole in the piston but did not go all the way through, i was wondering if i could just have it tig welded and be fine, but in the likely event i have to get new pistons, i was told the block was .020 over but if i get new piston do i have to go .040 over or can i keep it .020 over as i dont want to cut any more material out of the block.. im just trying to get the car back up and running as i just got a new head, had it hot tanked and had evo 8 valve springs and retainers installed so my valves done float again with the crower 272s.

Do any of you GURUS think this can be fixed?
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

If there are any scratches in the cylinder walls you can feel with a fingernail the block is going to need to be bored oversize. You may also have dents in the cylinder that dropped the valve. Sometimes it takes a pass with a hone for those to show up visually.

so all i have to do is re-hone it if there is no dents in the cylinder? the wall feels smooth to me. so if i buy the same pistons i can still re-use the rods i have correct?

so all i have to do is re-hone it if there is no dents in the cylinder? the wall feels smooth to me. so if i buy the same pistons i can still re-use the rods i have correct?
My suggestion is to watch jafromobiles channel on youtube. Its not that simple. You need to measure for out of round or taper. The correct way is to get a dial bore gauge and check to make sure your cylinders are straight. Then if you confirm this you could get a new piston, measure the skirt diameter and figure out what your piston to wall clearance is , hone it out and file the rings to spec. This is the correct way..... technically you could buy a used piston and rod, throw the used rings in the used pistons and install them. The old rings have worn in to the cylinder shape.....this is if you have no scoring in the cylinder walls

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back