The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Quest for 9's with stock everything

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug118

Proven Member
Aug 9, 2015
providence, Rhode_Island
This is my first dsm build and I'm shooting for 9's with the stock longblock and trans. Only mods internally will be headstuds, headgasket, and clutch setup. I've already been told by far too many that this will never happen but I'm going to give it one hell of a try.. Now to the car

The car is a 91 GSX which I bought for $1200. It came with a brand new 3" turbo back exhaust, 2 different front mount setups, 2 brand new clutches, 2 walbros, bastard 20g turbo, and a bunch of other odds and ends. The car came with nothing bolted onto the engine and a 12" crack in the transmission from the previous owner trying to remove it with a bolt still in place. The original plans were to get the car running and driving while I slowly collect parts to built it.

Quick rundown of parts being used.
Borg Warner S475 w/ 5" DP out of the hood
JMF SMIM
1600cc injectors
Treadstone 6" thick intercooler
Civic radiator
dual 044 fuel pumps
8 gallon fuel cell
Auto swap
The day I brought the car home

978A0185-4786-4135-8BCD-03F75FDCD62E_zpse1ocwqxb.jpg

The awesome crack I had to fix

F9B4E96A-1733-4900-9E2E-17C7ACA0B934_zps3gds8x61.jpg

I put the entire car back together and the only thing I needed was ECM link. Well I bought V3 and while I waited for it to come in, I came across this on craigslist. It's a homemade forward facing manifold with no wastegate provision and a terrible merge

8E59543D-41CC-4874-82ED-705ADF1DE373_zpsupo67hbl.jpg

How the car looked when it was 95% complete, minutes before I tore it all back apart

36C04DCC-5952-452A-B197-9D1E03D462AF_zpswrtwwfec.jpg

Last edited:
I took everything off the car and wanted to make sure the manfiold landed in a half way decent spot before I went any further with the build. Used a blown turbo just for mockup purposes

AA5ABD66-EB7D-4235-9D82-BB222619311C_zpsx2dvaric.jpg

739DC060-1CBB-4E8A-A1B8-F323ACEBD475_zpsqqujjuvp.jpg

Here is going to be the fun part. Making the S366 and 6" core intercooler fit behind the bumper without having to cut it up so much that it looks like complete crap. Again, temporary intercooler just to get some sort of idea since it's the same width as the one I will be running

3522B776-CE7E-424D-89C2-883359933A38_zpsi7iurihw.jpg

So far I've removed the AC, PS, ABS, cruise control, and 2 fuse boxes. Also removed both bumper beams. About 200lbs have been removed and I haven't even touched the interior. I'm hoping to get at least 600lbs out of the car while keeping the heat, carpet, and interior trim. The front seats will be swapped out with either honda s2000 seats or recaro spg's if I can find a part for a decent price. Will also be running a wheel that's no more than 12lbs each and some Hoosier QTP tires which weight roughly 18lbs each. I obviously need to cut as much weight as possible to keep the drivetrain alive for at least a few trips to the track but not sacrifice comfort

I forgot to mention this whole project has a budget of $5k, not including tuning. I paid $1200 for the car and sold some of the parts that I didn't need for $600 so I'm into the car itself for $600

turbo and flange came in. I won't be able to do much since I crushed my thumb at work on wednesday and they had to cut my nail off to stitch my finger

4137A739-550D-48CB-8940-8DEDEA2391DE_zps53r16tiy.jpg

37A1182B-0D99-43A5-AFAE-125A90BB2AD7_zpsjtxu7trb.jpg

You'll need an auto to go 9's stock. If you do it on a stock manny then you get lots of respect. One small error in launching and shifting at that power level means KABOOM for the trans.

Ya not really a stock everything quest . If so you would be running a 14b :) . It's seems more of a I'm throwing a bunch of parts on my car and I wanna see how far it will go till I blow it up thread LOL. And even an auto can cause major issue ask Richard33. That shift box resets and things go way wrong, boom! I mean go for it bro it's great to have a goal. And with enough money, the right parts and tune and a good driver it can be done for sure. But you gotta crawl before you can walk, especially with dsm's. They can be your best friend or your worst nightmare. Seat time is your friend at this point. We should all make a bet on what his first e.t. And mph will be his first time out, you know make it interesting LOL! ;) Also what fuel will you run? Don't think 1600cc injectors will be even close to enough for 9's.

Last edited:
Ostar did low 9s on a stock short block and holds the 6 bolt record but, his motor was also a freak of nature and he was running a dogbox.

Have fun with trying to keep the trans together/shifting on stock preloads and bringing the weight down. You'll be lucky if you can get it down to 2700lbs without spending money on light weight parts and chopping up the unibody.

Ostar did low 9s on a stock short block and holds the 6 bolt record but, his motor was also a freak of nature and he was running a dogbox.

Have fun with trying to keep the trans together/shifting on stock preloads and bringing the weight down. You'll be lucky if you can get it down to 2700lbs without spending money on light weight parts and chopping up the unibody.
Define "freak of nature"

There's no good way to word type of build without getting long winded so I just said stock everything. I like setting impossible goals for myself with projects like this. What's the fun in trying to go 10's when plenty of people have done it? If the car holds up for a single 9.999 pass, I'll be happy. Oh and I will definitely be starting out at very low boost pressure and pump gas until I get launching and shifting damn near perfected with this specific car.

I was told by my tuner that 1600's be at 90% duty cycle with this turbo maxed out on this engine. It will still get driven on the street to go to local meets and shows so I don't want to just throw 2200's in it and have it idle like poop

There's no good way to word type of build without getting long winded so I just said stock everything. I like setting impossible goals for myself with projects like this. What's the fun in trying to go 10's when plenty of people have done it? If the car holds up for a single 9.999 pass, I'll be happy. Oh and I will definitely be starting out at very low boost pressure and pump gas until I get launching and shifting damn near perfected with this specific car.

I was told by my tuner that 1600's be at 90% duty cycle with this turbo maxed out on this engine. It will still get driven on the street to go to local meets and shows so I don't want to just throw 2200's in it and have it idle like poop
Yea that's not terrible. Typically you want to be around 80ish as I'm sure you know but that should be fine. Talk to twicks69 hes gone 9's, maybe you'll learn a new technique or something.

I've searched high and low for the quickest stock engine and trans 6 bolt car but can't find much. The quickest import in my area has gone 10.0 @ 140, so that's where the 9 second goal came from and there's people betting against the car making anything over 500whp on a stock engine. The car will do both or at least blow up really good while trying LOL

It's not really the engine 6bolts where so over built and very very strong, when treated right. It's the the driveline and trans that will give you the issues. Look at the guys doing 9's and 8's on here. Read there build threads and journals, will give you a great idea on what it takes, and what breaks. Also I would go with 2150's minimum for this goal. Why run such a high %. Plus if you switch fuels like to e85 or higher you will need all the injector you can get. There's guys running 8 to keep up with things bro! Better to give yourself some room to grow ;)

It's not really the engine 6bolts where so over built and very very strong, when treated right. It's the the driveline and trans that will give you the issues. Look at the guys doing 9's and 8's on here. Read there build threads and journals, will give you a great idea on what it takes, and what breaks. Also I would go with 2150's minimum for this goal. Why run such a high %. Plus if you switch fuels like to e85 or higher you will need all the injector you can get. There's guys running 8 to keep up with things bro! Better to give yourself some room to grow ;)

I know 100% that I will never go e85. Closest station to me is 20-30 minutes away. I will probably end up just buying some Bosch 2200's since they're cheap. Worst case, I wasted $400 because I don't like the idle. I trust my tuner when it comes to the fuel setup since he's gone 7's and I haven't LOL.

My budget will end up being over $5k if I include all of the gauges I'll be running to keep an eye on everything

Can always sell them on here LOL. I've bought every set of injectors off this site used. I just sell the set that I've out grown to fund the new ones I need. Fic rocks, you just send them in they clean um up match um and give you the sheet and your all good to go ;) better to have alittle extra than not enough when you need it, especially for injectors. And since you have ecmlink it's not that hard to get them dialed in.

The Bosch 2200's are only $80-100 each. I don't see the need to spend double the money just to have someone's company name on them. It's not hard to wire up the Toyota plugs. Only thing I need to figure out is why places like ID include the top pieces for the injectors. I have no problem fabbing stuff up to make non-oem parts fit

Put 1 bolt in the t3 flange just to see if it fits or not and it clears the frame by about 3/4". When I weld the t4 flange on, I'll cut the collector back a little to gain some clearance

A561EF5E-2DE9-47D3-9EE4-995CDC4FC174_zpsnsfzutcf.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back