The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

GVR-4 Pulled head and found 15 3g lifters and 1 2g lifter.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4gfun

Supporting VIP
Dec 10, 2007
Ask Me, Virginia
I am swapping the following Dale Morss built (BogusSvo) head onto my Galant VR-4 because it is laying around doing nothing:

Resurfaced 2g cylinder head with 3 angles on the seat + 2 angles on the valves, back cut valves, factory seats, and 6t valves, 1100 BC Springs, Viton Blue seals, oil port mod, and cc'd at 7.6:1

The cams are: Crower 272's (not Brian Crower) Stage 2 p/n 64413-2

The previous head on the car worked great and was rebuilt about 60k ago per the previous owner. I pulled the cams to measure them and to check the HLA(s).

I was shocked to find 15 3g lifters and one 2g lifter. :confused:

Is there any reason why the previous owner might have done this? :idontknow:(haven't heard from him in years).

I'd assume that it wasn't worth his time and money to replace that one lifter and that is all that he had laying around. Still concerned that the reasoning might have been more weird.

Anyways, I have been some searching around and it seems that 1g lifters are actually superior to 3g lifters especially on a built head and once the oil port mod has been done...which it has on my new head.

I have 1g lifters that I decompressed and cleaned up for another project that are ready to go.

I read that 1g lifters are better in the higher RPM world (which I assume my head is built to handle), but I can be a wimp about high RPMS.

Would I be better off using 1g lifters or should I clean up/decompress the 3g lifters and just buy one more?

I'd just like to get the latest scoop since there haven't been many posts on the topic for several years.

Thanks!

99% of the big bore lifters out there are made in China junk. They fail all the time. One of them may have failed and was replaced with what was handy.

Guess this answers my other question. Seems I am likely better off with my 1g lifters then regardless of how I drive it....especially with the oil port mod.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back