The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

operation clean daily

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So here is the story of how i became the second owner of 1999 GSX. I come from a 1995 BMW M3 which i still love, but rear wheel drive is not the best in the winter obviously. Being a car guy I wanted a fun, AWD vehicle on a budget. I've seen plenty of built EVO's and STI's but something always drove me towards the GSX. So I checked craigslist often and eventually saw this one, Original owner and 130,000 with a list of problems but the price was right up my alley. So i saw the car in person, the seller was very upfront about every problem it had and even warned me he did not think the clutch would stay together for the 1 and a half hour ride back to my house. I appreciated his honesty and continued to attempt to drive it home. Here she is during her first fill up!
Photo Jan 19, 3 07 14 PM.jpg
My friends and I went back onto the road, and all went smooth!!!
...For about 30 minutes, with the clutch slipping so bad it sickening right as i finally got to a highway we heard a metallic crack and i lost all power to my wheels. So! I called up my insurance, got her towed to my house and there she sat until we finally had time to start the dis-assembly. The tare down was a long process filled with many rusty bolts, a tub of PB blaster and 2 feet of snow. Tonight however the transmission finally hit the ground and well, ill let the pictures explain.

As expected, the clutch gave up on life. The exedy will be remembered and missed.
Photo Feb 06, 4 41 38 PM.jpg Photo Feb 06, 4 57 48 PM.jpg Photo Feb 06, 4 43 30 PM.jpg
Unfortunately not all the pictures will upload but there are two tinny slits in the bell housing above the slave that i will be filling in to protect from debris. Not sure if the Flywheel is salvageable because we lost daylight and with that any remaining heat outside, most likely it will be replaced however! Any comments or tips this far, please let me know!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back