The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Project Nicole, 2gb AWD Talon Spyder

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I see, I never had that luxury as my spyder was only running for about 2 weeks before it was in full project mode. Hope you find your answer!

Great build...sorry to hear about debris :(

My spyder is almost done her AWD swap as well. And of course I am converting it to a talon this summer (parts are all collected).

It seems that everyone who has an awd talon spyder is fairly spread out throughout the country. One day we must all meet up...maybe at the shootout!?!?

Keep on building man, I have enjoyed reading this Omar. Clean work man!

Great build...sorry to hear about debris :(

My spyder is almost done her AWD swap as well. And of course I am converting it to a talon this summer (parts are all collected).

It seems that everyone who has an awd talon spyder is fairly spread out throughout the country. One day we must all meet up...maybe at the shootout!?!?

Keep on building man, I have enjoyed reading this Omar. Clean work man!

Thanks man! Really appreciate the support!

Here's what I find when pulling the oil pump FML after finding this, I checked my oil pan with a magnet and nothing was magnetic. Leads me to believe its spray paint shavings.

egu6upag.jpg

Sure don't LOL the previous owner had no business driving this car much less "re building" this motor.

I got the motor torn down and this is what I found
enudabu7.jpg

The grooves are pretty deep, surprisingly the crank has no scarring or grooves anywhere.

I'm going to drop everything off at the machine shop next week and have them give everything a look over.

I could write a book on the stupid stuff I seen/been told by car owners over the past 10+ years of screwing around with cars. Surprisingly DSMers are low on that list but that's mainly because I only hang with the local ones here. I did meant a few yahoos when I was on the mainland.

Just gonna do a stock rebuild? What about a 6 bolt?

Your machine shop must be cheaper than mine. They don't know what pennies are LOL.

I heard back today, everything but the main bearings looked fine, the head was cleaned and leak checked and was perfect, the crank was perfect and had only needed to be polished. He said there was some odd wear on the pistons and recommended I do a .20 overbore and get new pistons.

So my rebuild will consist of stock .20 over pistons, rings, ARP rod bolts, ARP headstuds, new main bearings, rod bearings, polished crank, bored and honed block and a 4 layer Felpro or Mitsu headgasket, new front case with BSE, and new gaskets everywhere.

I've never been in this far with a motor and I'm starting to understand why people always say do it the right way the first time, Because this shit isn't cheap!

Now I know what you meant by not spending pennies haha!

Last edited:
yea i hear ya. the tax man likes to shove it up there dry for me aswell. but i will be getting a really clean fwd tsi chasis to swap my awd into that im really excited about.

Well I got my stuff back from the machine shop yesterday
20140211_165623_zpsjwv85gt8.jpg

Also got my wheels powdercoated a while back and got some tires mounted

20140209_100752_zpsxu1dlmcm.jpg

Also ordered my timing belt kit, water pump and a few random things. I still need to get a few things but they'll have to wait until I save up a few more dollars :)

Started working on the engine bay a little bit, started by taking the firewall material off, it was flaking and I have always hated how it looks on these cars

100_3600_zps53396065.jpg

Next I deleted my powder steering cooler and looped the lines, pretty simple and self explanatory

100_3603_zpsecb05bd1.jpg

I started to get the car ready for the VRSF IC Kit
Cut the radiator support corner out and laid down some primer after grinding the metal down and making sure it wasn't sharp (so it doesn't tear the coupler)

100_3601_zps00f64fac.jpg

Painted
20140314_130029_zpswfg4vldh.jpg

Drilled and tapped the stock fog light mounting holes to 8x1.25mm and mounted the core to make sure it fit correctly

20140307_184030_zpsnicd7one.jpg

And a teaser with the 2gb talon bumper hanging on :D

20140307_185939_zps6bqxxrgb.jpg

Next I started to do the battery drop onto the subframe as per Gofers thread. I did this previously on my old 2g and it's 100x easier with the motor and transmission out of the engine bay LOL

20140307_185049_zpssox4tfgq.jpg

I did some cleaning of that area as it had some surface rust, primered it and laid down some mixed up OEM paint by my local Jones paint shop. It looks decent enough I just laid it down with a brush and used some engine enamel clear coat, did the same for the radiator support area. (Will update with pictures later)

20140314_130023_zpsrdfdqv20.jpg

I also cleaned, wire wheeled, and painted the battery bracket and tray with some rustoleum

100_3606_zps9724516c.jpg

I did these a while ago but didn't want to make a single post for them.
I unbaked the OEM headlights and painted the chrome housings black with some Duplicolor Fusion gloss black spray paint. Turned out pretty good IMO I'm going to have a friend sand and re finish the faces of them to make them look like new.

100_3599_zps68edf35d.jpg

That's all I've got for now thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Looking good man.

FYI, do some sort of coating (Venture Shield, there's others but that's the only one that pops in my head) to your headlights after being restored or they will look like poop again in no time.
Also send them to me for some retro goodness.

First time I've seen a VRSF witha 2gb talon bumper, always wondered how it would look. Now i know.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back