The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Project: my 99 GSX I got for $700

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxracing4500

10+ Year Contributor
Jan 21, 2012
Europe
alright where to start because as of writing I have had this car for 8 months, so from the begining, I saw an ad on craigslist for a 99 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX. I wanted a car that was already AWD and turbo and the guy was asking what was in my price range at the time $2500 but I talked him down to $2300. I started talking to the guy through some emails and I saw his signature and realized "Hey I know this guy from highschool!!". It was January and just snowed 6 inches when I saw the car, I did my usual checklist,

The bad,
front bumper, primmer black
driverside fender - primmer
windshield - stretch crack on passenger side
J-pipe leaking a little oil
trunk.....rusted :barf: in fact it still had water until I took her home.
knock off RFL bov
alot of vibrations in the engine bay :ohdamn:

during a test drive I noticed under boost it had a train whistle sound which I found out was a massive dent in the stock SMIC.

The good,
155k miles
brakes and pads new
new coolant sensor
new o2 sensor
new tps sensor
regular oil changes every 3k
there was a K&N oil filter so I guess they would use good oil also.

---------------------conclusion----------------------

yes I bought the car LOL!!!!!!! So wait why does my title say "my 99 GSX I got for $700??????. Heres the thing, we had conflicting work scedules so we couldnt go to the notory in town but he knew a guy that would do it on the weekend. I followed him down there and we both pulled in, we saw the garage door open and a big black SUV starts backing up. Just......it DIDNT STOP! and hit my friends car/my car. I said whatever lets just do the title transfer and let the insurance company take care of it.....and they did :D. I got a $1,600 check from state farm for a dented fender and my passenger side door being pushed in a little. So simple math,

oringal car price = $2300
check from state Farm = $1600
= $700 car for me :D

if you read all that thank you now on with the pics,

2ry5xkg.jpg

can you belive after 155k they kept this engine mostly stock :shhh:
wjxlzb.jpg

when I drove it home first thing I did was empty the water that was sitting in the trunk, sanded the hell out of it til I reached metal and primmered it.
2rrszg5.jpg

remember I said it had a train whistle sound under boost? here is the dented SMIC that they ran,
jq02n8.jpg

my first real upgrade, bought from another DSM'er here!
9fwo6g.jpg

and this is why I needed new struts,
2h35vdt.jpg

again,
33msvpv.jpg

and I think we have a problem,
2ytwf1j.jpg

unfortunately the seller sold me a strut that was bad/no compression, I later fixed this. He was nice and transferred me $75 for a new one, great guy! :thumb:

-------soo lets skip around abit I met this site learned from the best and took care of all my maintenance....I mean all of it!! but then I saw something I couldn't pass...and I had money, but my supporting mods wernt done so it had to wait.
I bought this setup for $300, no lie!
izcllk.jpg

Also wanna note that working with turbocharged cars inst new to me, I also have a 99 Audi a4 1.8t but its a pain in the ass to work on, just chipping the ECU cost $450 and where I am at now, I am already flashing my ECU and spent little under $125 to do so, but I will get to that later.
I gotta stop here I gotta go to work soon but I have plenty more to come.

************updated********************
found some time over the weekend to add to this, I like pictures better then words so here they are,

one of the first mods I did relocate my battery to the trunk, yes it still have the bov but I wasn't driving her.
2r7wl6r.jpg

bought, not shown in the photo I ended up porting the o2 housing and hotside.
347wh82.jpg

goodbye small t28,
2md45d2.jpg

something I forgot about after installing the big 16g...heatsoak. Went and bought a VRSF FMIC, then i later forgot I needed a greddy BOV.
sfie0h.jpg

Last edited:
update more pics,

2q1s83n.jpg

$1,600 of damage according to state farm, why not.
103eept.jpg

$25 fender from junkyard, already looks a little better, I later fixed the lower side skirt
16krml3.jpg

pretty much what she looks like now except I was going through a color phase during this photo but all vacuum lines have been replaced with black silicone.
2a65n4i.jpg

so thats about where I am at now, I got all my supporting mods done, got my gauges and I am tuning with ceddy mods/ecuflash/evoscan..

I really saw no point in dsmlink besides the direct memory access. With my 16g upgrade and keeping boost low I was pretty much stock anyways but if I can help the community with Ecuflash or evoscan questions I will. Took me an hour to flash my ecu with ceddy mods, do 3 WOT logs, dialed timing back where needed, flashed and did 3 more WOT runs. With link I could have shortened that but owell.

2mow21y.jpg

no knock on 93 octane @12psi. waiting on some FIC injectors and I will be set to raise the boost, cant wait

small update, I spontaneously bought a MAFT off a member through the classifieds but he sent me a 3.5 GM Maf, went to the junkyard ended up snagging 3, ordered some couplers and damnit.... I got Mishimoto 2.5 to 3". Sucks because I spent about $30 including shipping, bought another no name set, this time 2.5 to 3.25. Contacted VRSF about the TB elbow incase I switch to Speed Density, even on the weekend I got a response in 12 hours :thumb:. Also found a non cruise cable at the junkyard and got bored and made a coolant tank out of an energy can.

now please dont hate and say YOU SHOULD HAVE WENT WITH SD. well yes I still might, I tried selling the MAFT with all 3 3" gm mafs and no one wanted it, but it does make a great failsafe in the meantime if I ever blow a coupler off. I live in the country and to get anywhere you gotta travel far and I hate lugging tools around like I use to.

so here is it,

2myqaex.jpg

33a6v5w.jpg

2iveemv.jpg

also random but I been thinking about getting this tattoo'd, total badass!
33oilqc.jpg

damn i wish i could pick a dsm up for 600. Keep us updated lookin forward to hearing about this build

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back