The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support ExtremePSI

Project "Go as fast as I can on a budget"

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streetdsmpwr

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Canton, Michigan
What's up guys? Since my Eclipse project is coming to a close, I have a new project that I have somewhat recently acquired. I picked up a 1992 Talon TSi AWD shell in New Jersey a few months ago. Yes, it is Casey Barrett's old black talon that Sean(Slippi84) bought. You may recognize this car from his Project 9's No Compromise build blog. It needed many things, including an engine, transmission, drive shaft, turbo, intercooler, radiator, etc... I have already gotten a lot of these things, but there are so many more things I need. My initial plans for this car is a budget build. I originally wanted to hit 10's for under 10k, but now I just want to go as fast as I can using the best parts I can for a reasonable amount of money. If I can only hit 11's or 12's, so be it. If I miraculously hit 9's, that's fine too. As long as I am having fun, the project will be a success. Here are some pics:

28luhdv.jpg

260ao83.jpg

ih0h8z.gif

w14i6o.jpg

41atj.gif

Here is what I have acquired so far:
Engine:
6-bolt motor
Wiseco 9:1 Pistons
Manley H-beams
ARP main studs
ACL Race rod and main bearings
Stock head

Turbo:
Holset HX-52

Engine Management:
EPROM ECU from a 90

Transmission:
23 spline tranny and t-case from a 92
ACT 2600 4 puck unsprung
Fidanza aluminum flywheel
Stock drive-shaft and axles
STM clutch line and shifter cable bearings

Fuel:
Magnafuel 750 series fuel pump
AEM fuel rail
-10 feed and -8 return
Aeromotive FPR
Trick flow Fuel filter

Misc:
STM light weight battery

As you can tell from the massive fuel system parts, I plan on running E98. All I need are injectors and a fuel cell to complete the fuel system. Most likely I will get 1850's and a small fuel cell to mount up front. I am shooting for 600-650 whp on a relatively low boost setting of 28-30 psi. The transmission will be built by JNZ tuning. The transmission is there now, I just have to give them the ok (and save up some more money). The engine is apart, all I have to do is drop it off at the machine shop with all of the parts I just got. I am considering getting an AEM EMS instead of using the EPROM ECU I got for free. I also am planning on making my own front-facing exhaust manifold and getting an air-to-water intercooler. The first thing I need to do is strip out the entire interior. If I want to go as fast as I can on a budget, I need to take advantage of every free mod I can. Progress will be slow until March because of school and limited funds, but I will have a Co-Op job in the spring and summer close to where the car is. My probably unrealistic goal is to have it done by the 2012 Shootout, but it will most likely be the 2013 Shootout. I don't want to rush anything.

A little background on me:
I am a sophomore mechanical engineering student at Drexel University. This will be my second dsm, my first being the red 99 GSX in my profile picture that I currently daily drive. All of the upgrades on my 99 GSX have either done by me or with the help of friends, and I tune it myself. I have drag raced for about 2 years now with over 50 passes under my belt. I am on my school's Formula SAE team where we build a formula-style car from scratch. Being on the team, I have learned/am learning how to TIG weld and use various machine shop tools including a CNC mill. Being 19, I am relatively new to building cars, but with the help from some experienced friends and JNZ Tuning, I think I should be able to pull it off.

I will be posting more pictures tomorrow. Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
I like the idea of overkill for fuel, but -10 is insanely too big...even for E98 and that power range.

Excited to see how the build turns out!

This is nuts! I know Casey, and im SHOCKED to see this car clear across the country. He can build a crazy car, keep up the good work, seems like an awesome goal!

I like the idea of overkill for fuel, but -10 is insanely too big...even for E98 and that power range.

Excited to see how the build turns out!

Thanks! I got all the fuel system parts together from a user on here. I might be getting some smaller pro-classic lines, but I'll probably just stick with what I have so I don't have to spend extra money.

This is nuts! I know Casey, and im SHOCKED to see this car clear across the country. He can build a crazy car, keep up the good work, seems like an awesome goal!

Sean had it shipped all the way from Utah to New Jersey. Glad he saved me the trouble and money :thumb:. I just wish it still looked as clean as it was when Casey had it. I'm pretty sure I'll be the first person to take this Talon into the 10's if I do since I think the best time he ran in it was an 11.0.

Sweet project! Hopefully we willl get to see it at the shootout within the next couple of years.

:rocks:

I hope so too. I'll probably be bringing the Eclipse this year, and the Talon the year after that. I still haven't been to one and I kick myself every year I don't go.

Thats Awesome. Hes Running a 9.3 now, with a friggin GORGEOUS red talon...its pure sexy goodness as casey always has!

Nice to see this car getting back on track

I agree that -10an is too big for the goals... -8an feed will be plenty.
I've seen first hand that -8an feed will support 850awhp on e100

possibly a pressure drop? the pump/s having to fill up a much larger volume of fuel and still maintain adequate pressure in the lines, could be completely wrong its just something i could see happening.

Went to JNZ the other day and they took apart my transmission. To my surprise, it already had a 4-spider center diff. It did have some damage to 3rd and 4th, which will be replaced, along with most of the other stock components. It will also be getting some upgrades like Magnus shift forks.

I"ll redo the cage, judging by the (slippi guy) there will be no surprise that this are just a bunch of bars welded without any math proven design.

keep going with your build is gonna be awesome. :)

Car looks great, will be nice to see it run after all this time. ONe thing i would warn you to be patient with is bleeding the clutch if that's a -4 line. I went down to a -3 because the -4 was insanely hard to get bled properly, Even a friend that owns a local import shop said they only use -3 now because of thebleeding issues with the 4, said the only way they could get them to bleed was with a vacum bleeder when using the larger stuff. SOif it doesn't want to bleed, don't jump to looking for leaks too fast because it's probably just air that won't come out of the slave but you can get a lot of that out by pushing the slave in with the bleeder open and then closing the bleeder and releasing the slave rod.

Also does your above post mean you have 2 of the 4 spider CD's?? I'd love to get one if you have a spare

I"ll redo the cage, judging by the (slippi guy) there will be no surprise that this are just a bunch of bars welded without any math proven design.

keep going with your build is gonna be awesome. :)

The owner of the car before him, Casey Barrett had the cage done. It was certified to 8.50's. He made 750 whp on the car and 140 mph passes before he parted it out. Sean didn't really do much to the car except put dents in it and cut up the bumpers. I'm starting my paid internship next week so updates should start coming very soon.

Car looks great, will be nice to see it run after all this time. ONe thing i would warn you to be patient with is bleeding the clutch if that's a -4 line. I went down to a -3 because the -4 was insanely hard to get bled properly, Even a friend that owns a local import shop said they only use -3 now because of thebleeding issues with the 4, said the only way they could get them to bleed was with a vacum bleeder when using the larger stuff. SOif it doesn't want to bleed, don't jump to looking for leaks too fast because it's probably just air that won't come out of the slave but you can get a lot of that out by pushing the slave in with the bleeder open and then closing the bleeder and releasing the slave rod.

Also does your above post mean you have 2 of the 4 spider CD's?? I'd love to get one if you have a spare

I have the same clutch line in my 99 GSX. Took a long time to bleed it, but it works great. Combined with all new shifter bushings, it shifts better than it ever has before.

I only have 1 4-spider. The car did not come with a transmission and the transmission I bought happened to have one in it.

The owner of the car before him, Casey Barrett had the cage done. It was certified to 8.50's. He made 750 whp on the car and 140 mph passes before he parted it out. Sean didn't really do much to the car except put dents in it and cut up the bumpers. I'm starting my paid internship next week so updates should start coming very soon.

I have the same clutch line in my 99 GSX. Took a long time to bleed it, but it works great. Combined with all new shifter bushings, it shifts better than it ever has before.

I only have 1 4-spider. The car did not come with a transmission and the transmission I bought happened to have one in it.

thats better news. :thumb:

Hey guys! Sorry I haven’t been posting any updates. The main reason for no updates is that there wasn't really anything to update. I am finally getting going with this project. I will be taking a new approach to the build…

Being cheap wasn't really getting me anywhere and I don't want to make the same mistakes that Sean aka Slippi81 made. I am going with quality parts from now on. I plan on having turbo4.com build the motor (guys with the 4G63 Dragster). The trans will be going to Shep for a stage 4, not JNZ as I originally planned (more expensive anyway). I just bought a 1G Series 2 AEM EMS, along with their AIT and 3.5 bar MAP sensor. I will probably ditch the HX-52 and get the new BW S400SX 67mm FMW. I also plan on reducing weight as much as possible. I almost have the entire interior out and I plan on removing a bunch of the interior excess sheet metal, as well as a comprehensive wire tuck. I will probably do a tubular front end because the front is already kind of butchered up.

My end goal is to race it in a 11.0 or 10.5 index class for fun and possibly run a 9.xx just to say I did. I am hoping that by keeping the weight down and racing it at a time slower than it is capable of, I will avoid unnecessary breakage and I will always have it ready to have some fun. I should be posting more updates in the coming months; however, this will probably be a longer term project now because of the extra cost.

I've been talking with Tony from turbo4.com and we are trying to figure out where to go with the motor, but I will be dropping off the block to them soon. Here are what I've gotten recently:

3speed scatter shield:

289pi0.jpg

AEM Series 2 EMS w/ 3.5 bar MAP and AIT:

sfv03s.jpg

2118fv5.jpg

I definitely need to change the title of this build thread ;)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back