The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Resolved Project car completed, but wont stay running.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kdouglas89

Proven Member
Jul 8, 2013
Davenport, Iowa
Car has been down for nearly 6 months while I have been upgrading. The majors I did was rebuilt the head with all supertech parts, and threw in some 272's. I also upgraded to E85 on FIC 1150's and a 255 pump. Also converted to SD. My ethanol rating is 75%, which is normal for my area.

If it sits for a few minutes, it will start for a few seconds then just die. If I start it again right after it just turns but no start. My deadtime is set to 330.

I have attached a log of it starting for a second and shutting off.

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Idle_log1.elg
    8.9 KB · Views: 64
Check the coolant temp sensor and its wiring. That behavior happened when I accidentally pulled one of the wires out of the harness.

I've had fuel pump relays go bad on me to where they would pump while cranking the starter, but then stop when the key was in the "run" position. Not sure if this applies to DSM's or not.

Also, maybe hit it with a little starter fluid, that would let you know if it's a fuel problem or an ignition problem.

If fuel pressure looks good in your log (the whole time) the pump is probably still running. Check spark (plugs could be getting wet), check fuel (spray starter fluid), check compression.

i would start with the basics(fuel psi,air,spark) after it dies it just cranks. could be a bunch of thing sounds like it might possibly be a weak ptu. it controls the ignition coil and firing them

hold on e85 is a pita to start cold. mix more gasif you have the ethanol content sensor. i would suggest tuning on gas getting half decent tune then switching to e85 after getting the bugs worked out

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have tried several different plugs with no luck. I am almost positive im getting a spark because it will start sometimes for a few seconds then dies. I can activate fuel pump and pressure will be at 43.5 and I can also hear it kicking on when I turn key. Have checked connections. I am thinking it is SD but idk

To buhay6's point, what is the STFT showing in your log? What is the wideband reading out? I can't open it because I use evo scan which output an excel file...

You can unplug your injectors and with the help of a friend try to start the car while spraying starter fluid.. if it runs or stumbles a lot you know you have a fuel delivery problem.

Where are you getting the fuel pressure reading from? You say dsmlink, but that doesn't say much and your profile only shows sx afpr. Injectors might be clogged; E85 (from what I've read) does a number to the fuel system after it is first introduced. Did you try starter fluid to keep it running once cranked?

I just pulled the injectors, and every single injector had gunk in them. I generally use KY gel to help them slide into the rail, never had an issue before, but maybe the 85 reacts different to it? More gas than intended came out, so letting everything dry up, and will try again in the morning.

Thank you guys very much for all the help, hopefully this will get her going!

Just put everything back together. It started for a few seconds then would just randomly die. When it was running, it was at around 1500ish rpm like it would during a cold start. I cant get it to start again. The motor just bucks over and over now like it wants to run.

Edit: I also put in new plugs and wires.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back