The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Products the DSM crowd would like to see made

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have carbon driveshafts in the 12,000 horsepower prop plane I fly on. They are fine.

Also the driveshaft shop makes 1 piece carbon fiber shafts for cars. It's not anything crazy.

I may be losing something in translation with regard to prop shafts?
In aerospace where im guessing is the luna rover or similer and it goes 15mph! It would not last 2 mins on our cars as we break hard carbon steel and special alloyed driveshafts as it is! So carbon would be the worst material ever for driveshafts! Ok maybe we should called them axles as driveshafts can also be called prop shafts, so in that axles cannot be made in carbon! Because they just wont last,

So maybe its in aerospace but its never going to make it to the cars! Even F1 dont use carbon axles! And if they dont then it must be for a reason as they would be years ago if it was possible. Not that i like F1 but they are big innovators of carbon, koenigsegg also are big players in carbon and they still use the best which is a carbon alloy for axles! Cars like ason martin ect use a carbon propshaft but as i said they are not the same as axles

I have carbon driveshafts in the 14,000 horsepower prop plane I fly on. They are fine.

Also the driveshaft shop makes 1 piece carbon fiber shafts for cars. It's not anything crazy.

I may be losing something in translation with regard to prop shafts?
Propshaft and drive shafts are technically the same thing, they go from transfer case to diff. Where i or we sometime get confused on is people call them different things and mean the same thing.

I tend to call axles driveshafts so it does confuse but its not just me, alot of folks do it aswell,

The carbon shafts you speak off and i mentions are prop shafts thats the proper name for them, so i didnt help the fact i called them different either but i did rectify my wording in previous replys,

While they are stong and in many cases used on a vary of parts they cannot be used as axles! Being made into Axles would just eat them up.

I would like someone to build In-Hub electric motors to fit on the rear of a GST. This would give the fwd cars an instant AWD conversion in hybrid form, and it might even help with MPG. Ive seen it on a prototype Electric Evo /Lancer that never came to fruition

I would like someone to build In-Hub electric motors to fit on the rear of a GST. This would give the fwd cars an instant AWD conversion in hybrid form, and it might even help with MPG. Ive seen it on a prototype Electric Evo /Lancer that never came to fruition
Mmmmm fruity!!!! Lol

Carbon fiber is scary when it's broken. Add a item to cause it to splinter and launch with force and it's evil.

I concur it shouldn't happen from a safety standpoint.

I would like to see a complete bolt kit, because alot of us buy PRErepped apart projects. So instead of using there pieced together wrong bolts we can easily do it right.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 200
Has anyone found a quality sunroof plug? I see that Carbonetics makes a carbon fiber one, anyone have any feedback on it?

Someone had a write up on here using lexan. Been thinking about trying that.

The big problem that I thought about with using lexan is matching the contour of the roof. I like the idea but I almost feel like welding the hole shut would be easier at that point. If the carbon fiber plug was done right then the contour should be correct so a lot less headaches there.

The big problem that I thought about with using lexan is matching the contour of the roof. I like the idea but I almost feel like welding the hole shut would be easier at that point. If the carbon fiber plug was done right then the contour should be correct so a lot less headaches there.
True. I'm all for a mass produced plug. I hate the sunroof so much.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back