The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

Press gas pedal car idle surges and doesn't rev up

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeadsEvolution1

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 10, 2008
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
Ok guys just like the title says.

Today I was driving home when I went to shift into 2nd and right after i shifted hit the gas pedal and it didn't do anything. I pulled off onto a side street. It worked than right after It started to work it stopped again. Now I have the car home and still nothing. When I press the gas pedal in it acts like it's idle surging but won't rev up at all. I mean I press the gas and it goes to 1500 drops back to 1100 back to 1500. ( you get the point)

2 things my temp gauge says it's over heating but once i hit the trottle goes back to normal temp and there is no boiling water sound

next one of my fuel rail bolts broke off so I only have two on right now could that cause any issues??

Please help me asap

Thanks

Maf is plugged in, and even if I pull the buttery fly open it does the same thing. I had a friend make sure the cable moved when I pressed the pedal and he said yes everytime.

It runs, than stops and does that problem. Than I'll turn it off for 10 minutes and it works again.

What if My oil pump went out? Would that cause this issue?? I ask because were the rear balance shaft would be (i did a balance shaft removal) was making lots of noise and I know that's where the oil pump gear is at. Just curious

Check your main grounds to the body. Run a new one from the battery to a strut nut and see what happens.

Absolutely. Spray some carb cleaner in the intake (not to much) and begin opening the throttle. More you open, the more carb spray. If it revs up then, you know you have a fuel problem.

The reason I stated to check the grounds is because you mentioned the temp gauge moving when you throttled it. Still check those.

That is the last thing it could be is an ECU. Meaning it's the last possiblity on my list. ECU is 1 year old and is an EPROM. I know that doesn't mean anything but I hope it's not that... I think it's seriously fuel related, and my coolant temp wasn't working because somehow the sensor cable wasn't plugged in.

So sunday I am going to put in a 190 pump and see if that fixes it. If not than I am going to replace the ECU

next one of my fuel rail bolts broke off so I only have two on right now could that cause any issues??

Please help me asap

Thanks[/QUOTE]

you are running on 2 bolts and asking us whats the problem ??? its most probably you have a bad leak in 2 injectros and you are driving the car on 2 cylinders . go and check if the injectros are set in place and not leaking.

As long as the fuel rail is secured then it shouldn't cause any problems.

If you're fuel pump is working then pull the ECU and check the capacitors.

I did a BLT right away that was my first thing to think of, my only leak is at the TB where the throttle cable connects to move the butterfly. Those seals are bad and are leaking a bit nothing major though.
As far as the fuel rail it is in place. It's not leaking fuel there or anything. Yesterday I used a bolt extractor and removed the old bolt and put a new one in and drove it around to see if that fixed it and no it didn't.

One day you guys will learn. So you spent money on a fuel pump you didn't need? Pm me I might buy your spare. Next time someone says check the ECU, check it. Takes ten minutes and it's free!

Absolutely. Spray some carb cleaner in the intake (not to much) and begin opening the throttle. More you open, the more carb spray. If it revs up then, you know you have a fuel problem.

The reason I stated to check the grounds is because you mentioned the temp gauge moving when you throttled it. Still check those.

Next time give good info, removing the charge piping on a turbo car and spraying flammable liquids into the intake doesn't work like it does on a N/t car. Most DSMs won't even idle with the IC pipe removed. You sent the OP in the wrong direction And he bought parts he didn't need. Never use words like Absolutely unless your physically touching the car and have ruled out the necessary problems. You could have suggested running a jumper wire to the fuel pump test connector to check for a bad pump. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to prevent frustration, misinformation and promote good quality info.

- Kolby

Next time give good info, removing the charge piping on a turbo car and spraying flammable liquids into the intake doesn't work like it does on a N/t car. Most DSMs won't even idle with the IC pipe removed. You sent the OP in the wrong direction And he bought parts he didn't need. Never use words like Absolutely unless your physically touching the car and have ruled out the necessary problems. You could have suggested running a jumper wire to the fuel pump test connector to check for a bad pump. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to prevent frustration, misinformation and promote good quality info.

- Kolby

Did not know that. Unless you mean because of the MAF, then I did.

Rule #3.Don't try to help if you don't know the answer - bad advice is often worse than no advice (no "I think" or "I guess" or "I've heard").

And your correct, removing the IC pipe creates a massive boost leak and most DSMs although not ALL wont even hold an idle, I wasnt trying to sound like a jerk, its just lately there is alot of misinformation being spread in the forums.

Im sure Ive been guilty of it too but the rules were put in place for a reason such as this. Most of us DSMers are broke middle aged men or young adolescence trying to enjoy our cars and he just bought unecessary parts because of misinformation. :coy:

It happens just sometimes resist the urge to throwing out the input unless you KNOW or have a good idea. Like I said Ive been powned before too in the past :tease:

-Kolby

First of all this is my thread. If I have something wrong with my car and I don't know what it is I ask here because I need Ideas.

Second my coolant it topped off in the resevoir and it's full in the fill cap. So MY COOLANT WASN'T LOW!! IF YOU WOULD'VE READ THAT POST i SAID BEFORE THE SENSOR POPPED OFF AND i HAD TO PLUG IT BACK IN. READ THE WHOL THREAD BEFORE YOU POST IDEAS

You just stated that your fuel rail bolts are missing and yuor fuel pump is not making any noise..I think its pretty obvious what your issue is.AS for the overheating, clearly the system has a leak in it some where and you are getting some air.There really arnt that many components to trouble shot.

EMPIE1:
If you would have read through my thread you would have saw that I said "As far as the fuel rail it is in place. It's not leaking fuel there or anything. Yesterday I used a bolt extractor and removed the old bolt and put a new one in and drove it around to see if that fixed it and no it didn't."
You need to read the whole thread before you post to help someone!!!
I was not over heating like I have said TWICE now, the sensor came unplugged so I had to plug it back IN.
READ THE WHOLE THREAD BEFORE YOU POST AND I ALREADY SAID I FIXED THE PROBLEM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back