The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Press fit plug, will it stay put?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GSLENK

10+ Year Contributor
May 25, 2011
DC, Maryland
How tight is good enough for a press fit plug? If the answer is "it depends..." please keep reading.

Had a tapped hole in my oil fill cap. Bored it out to a little under 1.001". Made a puck that was about 1.002". I had to press them together with a vice. (I tried to boil the cap and freeze the plug and they still would not go together by hand) Seal is water and air tight.

Plug does not feel like it will budge (fall out) by hand. Will it still stay when I put the VC on and the engine is running?

Should I just have someone make a few (1 or 2) tack welds on the inside just to be safe? or is that unnecessary?

To clarify, this was on the frontline fab VC oil cap, not the oem plastic one... Wish I took a pic of the original hole. It was hideous.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 106
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 95
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 107
A freeze plug has about .003-.005 press fit

Same for dry repair sleeves in blocks

Wheel bearings run the same also

valve guides have about .002-.003

Valve seats have .003

So if you are in the .003-.005 press fit range, you should be fine

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back