power surge, fuse box clicking?

Posted by gotgrip666, Mar 7, 2008
Newbie Forum - Beginner/newbie/general DSM modification questions. First mods, how to run 10's when you haven't run 12's yet, any tech question that doesn't fit in another tech forum.

1. gotgrip666

gotgrip666 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    middletown, New_York
    ok i've been having this problem for a while now, but its gotten worse, i have the battery relocate kit, my power keeps jumping up and down and i here a clicking noise loud coming from the engine fuse box, now any body have any suggestions on what i can do here?
    the car keeps dying because of it and i know the alternator is fine
  2. white_dsm

white_dsm Banned Member

Classifieds Rating:
    25%
    Plains, Texas
    Test your relays, that clicking you are hearing is that.
  3. cavillac

cavillac Proven Member

Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm not positive if we have the same problem BUT, my car does the same thing, and I traced the "clicking noise" to a valve mounted on the firewall with 2 vacumn lines attached, i believe it is EGR related and havent got a chance to look at it yet though.
  4. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania
    Here's an easy way to identify the part.
    http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/solenoids.htm
  5. gotgrip666

gotgrip666 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    middletown, New_York
    no its deffitnetly the fuse box it makes my wipers and sh** move some times like it sureges the power from the correct 13.5 to 11.1 then like 14.5 the box sometimes sparks when it makes the clicking, are the relays the blox square fuses? i took out the fan fuse and it stopped but the i put it back in and it didnt do it for a while then yesterday it got really bad and i took the fuse out and it still did it, how do you take out the black duses to check them?
  6. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    gotgrip, that link I posted was for cavillac :p

The black boxes in your fuse box are the relays. To remove them, you just pull them out. I would try and listen and see which relay is clicking. If need be, get a rod or something to help pinpoint which one (put one end of rod on relay and other near ear - kind of like a stethoscope).

Edit: Added relay test information/images from manual.

Attached Files:

7. tbonitz301

tbonitz301 Proven Member

Classifieds Rating:
    91.7%
    lonaconing, Maryland
    Does it do it all the time? Like wet or dry conditions
  8. gotgrip666

gotgrip666 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    middletown, New_York
    its been doing it since i let some ####tard mechanic put an alternator in for me, i have been threw thee since then, and i have narrowed it down to not being the alternators anymore so all im looking at with that click and surging is a fuse problem? what if i just pick them out one at a time and see wich one makes the clicking and flashing stop? i have the fuel pump fuse in the trunk of the car because of the batterey relocation is a 10 amp fuse big enough for that?

thanks for the help with that diagram soon as it stops raining im gonna go check the stuff out
  9. EclipSen AAA

EclipSen AAA Probationary Member

DSM Profiles:
    Montgomery, Illinois
    ECU!? I've had to replace 2 already, one for each talon. I would start it, gauges would jump, and what sounded like clicking from the dash board, ended up to be an ECU. Check it out, if it is it, I recommend motoguys, they sell them cheap with a 1 year warranty.
  10. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    I would try and determine which relay might be bad before I just started pulling them out. I don't know if it'd have any adverse effects if you just started pulling.

No it's not. I'd run a 30 amp fuse in there.
  11. gotgrip666

gotgrip666 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    middletown, New_York
    i have dsmlink, its not the ecu i had that checked a while ago for other issues the click is coming from the fuse box, i put my ear to it and its click and occassionaly see a spark under it im gonna try and determin wich fuse it is tomorrow, you have to get those ones from the dealer rite? do u know how much they cost about?
  12. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    I would just go to your local junkyard or talk to someone who's parting out a car. You can probably get a bunch of them for a few dollars.

I looked in CAPS but didn't see the relays listed. If you find you need one, let me know as I have some lying around if you can't find any locally.
  13. gotgrip666

gotgrip666 Proven Member

DSM Profiles:
    middletown, New_York
    ok today i got down to buisness with v8der and this is what happened so far

i pulled every black fuse out whil the car was running, and it still was popping, so then i noticed it was making only my fan come on and off so, i unplugged the fan and plugged it back in and i sat there for 5 min and heard no clicking, so think im in the clear?
  14. snowborder714

snowborder714 Moderator

Classifieds Rating:
    100%
    DSM Profiles:
    Sounds like an improvement!

Any more sparking? I would definitely keep an eye out for it. Also make sure all of the other fuses (non-relays) are good in your fuse box. Then just keep checking it out, listening, and watching every so often to make sure it doesn't come back.