The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Porting Tools [Merged 3-8] Tool die grinder Dremel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I bought mine off ebay for $20. worked fine for me.

Can anyone write up a "how to" on your own porting? I will be doing my own but I can't find any information on this website or any other on what tools needed, procedures, etc. Thx for the help.

Hey, how about an air die grinder, don't they work better?, i know you need an air compressor but you can always borrow one from some body.

I actualy got a nice dremel. Best investment I EVER made. I have used it so many times.
Dremel is to good investment as DSM is to bad. Nuff said.

On the Vfaq, though, it says:

do NOT try this at home unless you have a heavy-duty air or electric die grinder and carbide bits. It will take HOURS as is. If you try this with a Dremel, you'll be lucky to finish it in days or weeks.

Any thoughts on this..? So you're telling me the vfaq is *gasp* wrong??

So wich one is better guys, air or electric grinder? if electric is better Sears has some on special, for like 29 bucks they are Craftman with like 65 different bits, 35,0000 RPM. I'M thinking in buying one but i don't know if i should get an electric or air one, my brother has a compressor so a can get wich ever is better for about the same money. I need to port my o2 housing and the turbine housing because i'm having some bad boost creep.

WHITE GST said:
So wich one is better guys, air or electric grinder? if electric is better Sears has some on special, for like 29 bucks they are Craftman with like 65 different bits, 35,0000 RPM. I'M thinking in buying one but i don't know if i should get an electric or air one, my brother has a compressor so a can get wich ever is better for about the same money. I need to port my o2 housing and the turbine housing because i'm having some bad boost creep.

Both are good, but as stated in the vfaq you need to have a heavy duty air compressor. You are going to be all day with a small air compressor that you get a couple min of use and have to wait to fill it up. If you have one where you can keep going for a long time then go for it. I personally would go with an electric one because you can keep going and going and going nonstop.

TurBoGs-T said:
Both are good, but as stated in the vfaq you need to have a heavy duty air compressor. You are going to be all day with a small air compressor that you get a couple min of use and have to wait to fill it up. If you have one where you can keep going for a long time then go for it. I personally would go with an electric one because you can keep going and going and going nonstop.

It says don't use a Dremel, though.......?

Thanks guys, i guess i'm gonna buy that one from Sears, if there still some left.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00918836000

I love porting and have it down to an art some people say. If your trying to do an o2 housing or exhaust manifold, or turbo

buy these, cheaper and you get many different shape bits, you will probably need 2 packages, If your a business then you would want carbide.

to break it down 1 package will do a turbo and the different bits will help you out. not to mention save money

1 package maybe 2 at most for o2 housing depending on how crazy you go. but 1 will get do a lot for that.

exhaust manifold for 7cm and runner porting 2 packages maybe.

by now you should have worn out an expensive carbide bit or it is not working as well plus you only have one shape so that really sucks,

The only thing you need carbide for, is for a really long one to get way way down in the manifold

plus the ones you are looking at are way to small to do any good. they will wear out before you get the job done

I don't have a die grinder or a dremel and was wondering if there is any other tool I could use to do a good porting job on the exhaust manifold, o2, and turbo housing. Any help would be appritiated. :dsm:

A dremel would be quite a stretch to port an exhaust manifold. You really need at least a die grinder for a job like that. Get the right tool for the job. :thumb:

you could always try to use a drill

but i'd suggest getting a dremel, they arent very expensive

mgcook said:
you could always try to use a drill

but i'd suggest getting a dremel, they arent very expensive

A dremel will literally take days to port an exhaust manifold.

Rent a compressor, or it may be cheaper to buy one.

www.harborfreight.com

They're cheap, they will wear out over time but thats how tools go. I've heard not to get an oilless compressor, but we've had one for the past 10 years and its worked fine.

[Posted by 206.100.227.72. This is added while posting a message to avoid misuse of WebWarper: see http://webwarper.net/han Example of using WebWarper: http://webwarper.net/ww/~av/lycos.com ]

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back