The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Porting Tools [Merged 3-8] Tool die grinder Dremel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how much $$$ for one, do you guys have any idea?

under 100 under 200, 200+?

[Bthis one comes with 7 carbide bits... im assuming I would rather get this one, but it is twice as expensive.

[/B][/QUOTE]

A five gallon air compressor will work just fine. I made good use with a craftsman over the last five years. Plan on spending more if you get an oil-cooled compressor, I recommend it if sound is a factor due to oil-cooled units being significantly quieter.
Get Ingersoll Rand, the $45 one will be fine, and use carbide bits to port, but remember they are agressive. It will take you all day with the stones, use them only to smooth the surface after you have used the carbide. You can buy the bits and stones individually if you need to. Individual carbide bits are around $14-$20 depending on the size and you will only need a few of them. Stones are cheap.

I feel questions regarding pricing shouldn't be included in this discussion, simply look around.

Originally posted by jmc94gsx
[Bthis one comes with 7 carbide bits... im assuming I would rather get this one, but it is twice as expensive.

A five gallon air compressor will work just fine. I made good use with a craftsman over the last five years. Plan on spending more if you get an oil-cooled compressor, I recommend it if sound is a factor due to oil-cooled units being significantly quieter.
Get Ingersoll Rand, the $45 one will be fine, and use carbide bits to port, but remember they are agressive. It will take you all day with the stones, use them only to smooth the surface after you have used the carbide. You can buy the bits and stones individually if you need to. Individual carbide bits are around $14-$20 depending on the size and you will only need a few of them. Stones are cheap.

I feel questions regarding pricing shouldn't be included in this discussion, simply look around. [/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks that was really helpful :)

if you're going to buy a compressor jsut buy a nice sized one. I got a 30 gallon I think it is for $350ish. Definitly worth it though because air tools just make working on cars so much easier.

oops, I mean a 5 HP compressor. I have purchased from Harbor Freight. The stuff will work, but I do not consider them my first choice for anything, you get what you pay for. I prefer to spend the extra money on tools.

I have had success with buying a used air compressor, check some classifieds one a few years old.

o.k. that one doesn't work either...just go to the top left corner and type in "die grinder" under the key word search bar. It will bring up like 12 different grinders.

later

When porting you do not want to use an air grinder. Why? Becuase those little air grinders use alot of air to operate. Youll waste a full tank of air in less than 15 mins. And then would have to wait for the compressor to fill the tank back up making it a longer job then it should be. For what you need I suggest an electric grinder.

i do my griniding with a 60 gallon air compressor. The air is free and i think by saying that we shouldn't port with a pneumatic grinder....there are just a few people who will disagree....like probably everyone else in the forums.

If u don't have access to a big compressor, or u don't have a compressor, then yes, obviously you would want to use an electric, which is why i told him that in one of my posts.

I'm just finishing up mildly porting my head and i used an electric dremel...probably not the best tool to use and multiple carbide bits along with numerous flap wheels, angled and staright sand paper rolls, etc.

Seemed to work out well!

Hopefully will have pics soon needs to go to the machine shop for 1mm valves and valvetrain kit install.

i know it was a mild porting, cuz u can't port crap with a dremel.

u just can't put any torque on the bits they are too small.

Originally posted by 86MCSS
When porting you do not want to use an air grinder. Why? Becuase those little air grinders use alot of air to operate. Youll waste a full tank of air in less than 15 mins. And then would have to wait for the compressor to fill the tank back up making it a longer job then it should be. For what you need I suggest an electric grinder.
Yeah.... thats why you match your air tool CFM requirements to that amount of CFM that your compressor can push.
:rolleyes:

I wouldn't go any smaller (for myself that is) than the 30 gallon that i've got. Whenever i use my die grinder for extended periods it helps to pause to let the motor "catch up". But its only a short pause like 20-30 seconds or so. My brother-in-law however does 5 times the amount of stuff i do with only a 20 gallon, so to each his own i guess.

I have never used an "electric" die grinder. I was under the impression that electric just can't produce the torque like pneumatic can. That is why electric impact guns are only rated to like 250 ft/lbs. and pneumatic i've seen over 700 in a 1/2" size, or electric drills spin to like 650 rpms and my pneumatic does over 1800 rpms. I guess if anything the job would just take longer with an electric.

electric would be more simple and inexpensive to set up. But if you get a good compressor you will find yourself starting new projects just to get the air tool to match (this is a good thing of course...you can never have too many tools). its also nice to be able to air up all four of your wifes low tires in like 2 seconds:D

An electric will serve your purpose, you just have to pull back every once in a while so you don't gum up the carbide bit. I'll ask you this with my own pockets on my mind. What are you going to port and when do you need them done? I have access to an entire machine shop and I can port anything you want to any size you want within reason (I've had people ask me to make a 1g manifold as open as an EVO to try and save money, I just laugh). I'm cheap since I don't claim to have all the answers about which way is exactly the best way to port every opening in our exhaust systems, but whatever you tell me is what I'll do. I can probably port everything for the price of your tools if not less and save you the time. If you still want to do it yourself, I'll try and give you as many tips as I can.

For all of you that have ported stuff on your car and I mean PORTED the heck out of...which electric die grinder has proved itself to be useful? I want a good one but won't spend over 100 bux on one since money is a bit tight at the moment. I NEED to get rid of this annoying boost creep. I want to port my wastegate hole and install the 34mm flapper door, port turbine housing, e.manifold, etc. Thanks for the input. Input on which carbide burs are good is also appreciated. Thanks guys.

Thanks. Any other recommendations? If that'll do the job, then I'm DEFINITELY buying it soon. For 40 bux, you can't go wrong. Then I'll buy some good porting bits at Sears. Any recommendations on various burs to buy on Harbor Freights website??? This is one that looks good: 38688-0VGA
Carbtip Industrial
1/2'' CYLINDRICAL, NO END MICROGRAIN SOLID CARBIDE DOUBLE CUT ROTARY BURR $12.99

Anyone? I'm also thinking about going to Sears to see if they having any reasonably priced electric die grinders...

wal-mart. 20 bucks. use it all you want. buy the bits for 5 bucks. then take it back to walmart and make up some lame ass story. it's wal-mart for crying out loud, throw a big enough fit and they'll take anything back. total cost.. $5!

Or you could just keep it around because you might need it again.

Keep it, don't take it back. I've used mine a ton and those bits aren't going to last very long especially if you're going to work on the exhaust manifold. Between a 16g, o2 housing, and exhaust manifold I went through about 7 stone bits like those and I didn't even port the runners.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back