The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Porting Tools [Merged 3-8] Tool die grinder Dremel

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I never ported a turbo but i do know that your compressor will be working hard using a die grinder unless its at least a 30 gallon. Maybe a dremel will work?

It's going to be a long process, at least it was for me. When I ported my exhaust manifold, o2 housing, and turbo it was a three day process of working for a few hours at a time. This was my first time porting anything so it may have taken longer then normal, but I was more comfortable removing small amounts of material instead of huge chunks. It's easier to remove a little at a time then remove too much and not be able to put it back.

Hey guys finally finished, took a few hours compressor had about 2.5 hours of run time with breaks in between.
a couple pictures shows the original lip and the tools I used.

It's a FP Big T28. Now it match my manifold and 7cm gasket. I wasn't trying to hog it out, the sides get kind of thin so just tried to be conservative and not cause any holes, port and polished.

My conclusion, around full speed 20,000 RPM is better for the carbide, and no need to put alot of pressure on it.

Attachments

• DSC03239.JPG
    DSC03239.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 612
  • DSC03249.JPG
    DSC03249.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 613
  • DSC03251.JPG
    DSC03251.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 608
  • DSC03253.JPG
    DSC03253.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 612
That's a really clean porting job. The only issue I noticed is that by going really fast with the bit, it wears down faster. I personally noticed more effectiveness going a bit slower. But I think it also depends on the bit.

Nice porting job! Can I ask, where did you get that kit with all the diffrent bits from?

Thanks guys. The bits came from summit racing.. I've got the 4 piece carbide burr kit and deluxe porting kit. They are really good quality.. I only used one bit per grit. Stepping up grits with instructions give you near shiny finish that resists carbon build up recommended for exhaust work. People use different abrasives to finish the job, the idea is the same, but mine polished up very quickly with the kit.

(Search " Porting kit " at summit here is a link)

http://store.summitracing.com/egnse...&Ntt=porting+kit&searchinresults=false&N=+115

Reminds me of the port job I did on my manifold and O2 housing last month. Looks really good man.

I'm actually getting the Forced Performance Big28 too only w/the FP porting option. I thought about porting it myself but I decided against it as I thought it might void the warranty. Anyways, I ordered mine over two weeks ago so it should be here soon. Enjoy yours! I know I will. :thumb:

Reminds me of the port job I did on my manifold and O2 housing last month. Looks really good man.

I'm actually getting the Forced Performance Big28 too only w/the FP porting option. I thought about porting it myself but I decided against it as I thought it might void the warranty. Anyways, I ordered mine over two weeks ago so it should be here soon. Enjoy yours! I know I will. :thumb:

That's great man, good to see still see people running this turbo. Normally I would not hesistate to pay them the $100 for the port job, FP does the highest quality porting job you can find. Except the lead time I was quoted 2-3 weeks to do the port job but I wanted the turbo right away.

Post a picture here when you get it, I have seen one before it is opened up more than mine.

I'm looking to port my O2 housing and the compressor outlet of my 14B that i just got...Now my question is would this Dremel from sears would work to do some porting? This is exactly the tool i was looking at sears.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

A dremel will work alright for porting the compressor outlet on your 14b, but I would highly recommend an electric die grinder from Harbor Freight(usually on sale $30) and a double cut carbide burr for the o2 housing or anything iron. A single-speed die grinder may be a bit hard to control on the compressor cover though.

I second the Harbor Freight die grinder Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices . They have a variable speed controller Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices for routers that will work very well with the die grinder. Both can be had for $30 to $40 total. They also have a pretty nice flexible shaft grinder Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices that would work pretty well.

I'm gonna go pick up the variable speed controller ;)

Nice find!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back