The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

Resolved 1G - Picture of water pump pulleys

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil corb

15+ Year Contributor
Sep 7, 2005
Woodbridge, Virginia
I am reinstalling my engine components and I am on the water pump pulleys. I can't seem to find the smaller pulley anywhere in my garage but I don't recall how it looks either :p. Anyone have a pic of it? I only have the big outer pulley and contemplating running without the smaller one since I don't have PS anymore.

Any help

Solution
Even if you don't have power steering, you definitely do not want to run without the pulley. Doing so can cause alternator belt misalignment, just enough that it will wear prematurely or get thrown off.

Here's a picture of the water pump pulleys. Note that this is a 2G setup, so the pulley is ribbed rather than set up for a v-belt like on a 1G, but they look the same:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
Even if you don't have power steering, you definitely do not want to run without the pulley. Doing so can cause alternator belt misalignment, just enough that it will wear prematurely or get thrown off.

Here's a picture of the water pump pulleys. Note that this is a 2G setup, so the pulley is ribbed rather than set up for a v-belt like on a 1G, but they look the same:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Solution
Just curious, but are there 2 water pump pulleys because of a purposely built-in redundancy system to reduce the chances of being stuck without a functioning water pump.. or is that not the reason at all :idontknow:

Consider these questions:
  • How would having two pulleys help in the case of a water pump failure?
  • How would having two pulleys help if the water pump/alternator belt broke while driving?
There are two pulleys on the water pump so that everything can be driven from the crank pulley, directly or indirectly. Crank pulley drives water pump and alternator. Second pulley on water pump drives power steering. If the power steering belt fails, not a big deal as you still have the water pump and alternator being driven and can still drive the car a long long distance without too much of a problem. Without the alternator and water pump belt, you won't be making it very far at all.

Yeah I admit that was a dumb question because it inferred the PS pump + alternator were somehow driving the waterpump :banghead:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back