The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

PCV/Valve cover baffles

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

V8nothin

Probationary Member
Feb 13, 2014
Islip terrace, New_York
So i am in the middle of fabricating my pcv system with a set of sealed catch cans from calan(very good product might i add) with two -8an fittings coming off the VC to the can then -10an to the turbo inlet pipe. Also a catch can from the VC-> check valve-> intake manifold as well. I was hoping to purchase a set of the compworks laser cut aluminum baffles from a fellow member here but it seems he is not going to be making them anytime soon as i removed the original baffles for this process. So i have decided to try to fabricate my own to have welded in. I am looking for opinions on if the way i made it if it will hinder/choke the scavenging process or will it be fine. I have cut notches on the sides off the baffle with a clearance of about 1/8th of an inch in multiple spots as shown in the pictures.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 88
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    313.4 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 97
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 98
Why not just re-use the stock baffles, which have better air/oil separation capability and will allow for more crankcase gas to enter the separator?:

http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/1992-vr4-71-1000.488672/page-3

See post 61
the stock baffles aren't aluminum material so he can't weld it back. And I wouldn't trust the rtv idea. maybe the tapping part. but overall I'd prefer the laser cut baffles. OP have you tried contacting detective coating? maybe they might have some.

the stock baffles aren't aluminum material so he can't weld it back. And I wouldn't trust the rtv idea. maybe the tapping part. but overall I'd prefer the laser cut baffles. OP have you tried contacting detective coating? maybe they might have some.

I'm aware the stock baffles are steel, that's why I threaded mine back in with fasteners instead of welding. The RTV is there to increase the effectiveness of the breather, not as a joining method.

Here are a few reasons re-using the stock baffle makes sense:

1) It's cheap and pretty darn simple to re-use compared to a purchased and/or fabricated alternative
2) The stock baffles were designed by engineers intimately familiar with the 4G63 engine and things like challenge rate, angularity performance, venturi effects, impactor separation, where and why to place the breather inlets where they are located, etc...
3) Unless you have very severe blow-by, there's no reason for the breather inlets to be any larger than stock

Admittedly, the one big limiting factor of what I did is that the fasteners have to be very small and they are threaded into notoriously weak aluminum castings so thread locker is a must and even that is not a guarantee they won't back out (I have yet to test it). But, if you don't want to use fasteners, you can use another joining process called brazing:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Since crankcase temps are usually similar to oil temps, the brazing material would never get hot enough to melt. Come to think of it, I might go back and braze my baffle into place.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back