The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Overheating Problems...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ98GSX

Probationary Member
May 3, 2013
Monroe, New_York
I have a 98 GSX.

I've replaced the head gasket, valve seals, had the head machined, put in head studs, new hoses, aluminum radiator, thermostat, radiator cap, the fans run all the time. The system was acid flushed and bled.

The car is still sporadically overheating. Without boost, with boost, it doesn't matter. I'm at a loss. What am I missing?!

Also, what is the PSI specs for the radiator cap for the 2g GSX Turbo? 13 or 16?

Thanks...

What kind of fans are you running? Do they even come on? Cap should be 13.

The fans work fine. They come on as soon as I start the car and are run off a bypass. I forget the name of them. They're after market fans that clamp on to the radiator.

Fans can play a huge part. And doesn't matter if there running all the time. If they don't push the air there supposed to then you have problems. Also do you have a shroud? Not having that can really cut down on the fans ability to cool efficiently.

1. You have a faulty thermostat.
I've changed the thermostat twice already just to be sure.

Last night I'm cruising around, drove over 20 miles. All of the sudden my temperature gauge goes up and the engine light comes on. I keep cruising for a couple minutes and the gauge goes back down.

What is going on here?!?!?!?!?!

This is the second Mishimoto thermostat! If it was the fans then why after 20 miles of highway driving would this happen?! It just makes no sense at all.

This is real basic but did you make sure you burped the system of all air bubbles?

Yeah, my guy did an acid flush, bled the whole system.

We've done everything except a heat shroud or heat tape on the manifold but if that was the cause then the problem would not be intermittent and random, especially when driving on the highway.

Get your radiator pressure flushed to make sure its flowing properly I would double check the thermostat just throw it in a pan of boiling water and see if it opens .

Wouldn't hurt to check the code for the CEL you're getting either.

If you don't have anything to log with you're going to have to check voltage at the ECU temp sensor and the temp sender for your gauge cluster to rule them out. Refer to the procedure in your FSM, I'm sure someone's got a write up on it on here somewhere too.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back