The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Overheating/lean condition fix

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doebelj1

Proven Member
Jan 13, 2014
Raleigh, North_Carolina
My 90 Tsi AWD Talon has recently started overheating. I believe I have a leak, so I'm going to look into that. I'm also going to replace the radiator cap. However, I've read that a 160* thermostat install will make the ECU think the car is not warmed all the way, thus richening the A/F ratio. My car runs lean and desperately needs an AFP regulator, but i can't afford it, and am unfortunately going to have to sell my car due to low funds.

I'd like to sell it in decent condition though. So I'm wondering if installing a new 160* thermostat would make the ECU run the car a little richer and fix my lean condition? I've already destroyed one motor from the lean condition, and thought this might be an odd, but effect fix. Any ideas if this would work?

Looking over your mods it seems you don't have a wideband or a way to tune the car. Getting a different thermostat isn't the right thing to do to trick the ECU. Unless you plan to go crazy with a build a Safc-2 would tune the car to what you need and they can be had for around $150. Any injectors larger then 650cc I'd just go ahead and go for dsmlink. As for the overheating issue you could try burping your radiator to get all of the air out of the system just remove the cap and let the car idle for a while. If that doesn't fix it more then likely you will need a new thermostat.

What makes you think that it is running lean. Bigger injectors that aren't tuned with a 255 pump is likely causing you to run rich. Than since you have that big turbo on there you are likely overrunning the injectors pretty quickly. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator isn't going to help you one bit here. You need larger injectors, a wideband, and a way to tune at the very least. Probably would be wise to go back to the stock injectors and a stock size turbo until you can afford the parts to actually mod the car correctly.

I know it runs lean from the plugs. They're always white with the outside ring (sorry, don't know technical term) being black. It runs lean and hot. It always has and it snapped the valve stems on my last engine. I got it though, wideband, smaller turbo, and a tuning. I'll have to tell the next guy that... I can't hold on to it :cry:

I wouldn't mind selling it as is, but I think it's going to rob me of some much needed value out of the car. It's seriously leaking coolant. When the car is warmed up to operating temperature and starts to creep past operating temp., my fans never kick on. I feel the radiator hose and squishes, as if there is no pressure in the system. When it's cooled down, I'll pop it open and it'll be near bone dry.
I've done some reading and it looks like I may have a major problem:banghead: The coolant appears to be coming out of the driver side, behind the block somewhere. I have coolant all over my axle and against the firewall back there. But I can't seem to find any hoses that are leaking, or for that matter any hoses that are even located back there.

Headgasket???

That was my concern. However, I filled it up and started it to see if I could first pinpoint the leak. Sure enough, the hose that runs off the back of the thermostat housing (not sure where it ends up) is sliced awfully. It just so happens to be the hose that runs over my shifter cables... The shop I had to have my clutch done at has some explaining to do. Thanks guys!

Super happy for you that it is a simple hose problem! Great deal man and thanks for updating us all. :thumb:

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back