The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

overheating 96 Esi Talon

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShameSaw

Probationary Member
Apr 10, 2015
Hitchcock, Texas
Ok, I have a 96 Eagle Talon, n/t.
It just started overheating after I pulled the valve covers to clean them up.

I checked my radiator, and that's fine, I flushed it, pressurized it, flushed it again. My water pump is working, pulling suction as it should, I replaced the thermostat, and tested both fans, relays, and fuses. The fans turn on, the thermostat opens as it should.
I changed the oil and replaced the old transmission fluid with new fluid.
I cleaned my EGR line and tested the EGR, it works fine.
My antifreeze is clean, not leaking, hoses are fine.
My oil isn't milky, looks clean, that's fine.
I don't have a leaking head gasket and I don't know where to look anymore. I'm stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Timing which is too advanced will make motors overheat...

Wats timing set at?

Wat r the mods?

My Starion is hard to keep from overheating... But it has higher compression from hier comp pistons and shavedvhead....

Timing which is too advanced will make motors overheat...

Wats timing set at?

Wat r the mods?

My Starion is hard to keep from overheating... But it has higher compression from hier comp pistons and shavedvhead....

It's all base stock. I haven't had the chance to mod it yet. Timing is stock set.

420a's are known for blowing their head gaskets around 100,000 miles. I should know. You don't have any smoke coming out the back at all?

Are the fans running continuously or do they ever shut off? Does the temp. needle ever stop rising? If so, where does it stop? Our t-stats are supposed to be 195* I believe though I'm sure you checked it.

420a's are known for blowing their head gaskets around 100,000 miles. I should know. You don't have any smoke coming out the back at all?

Are the fans running continuously or do they ever shut off? Does the temp. needle ever stop rising? If so, where does it stop? Our t-stats are supposed to be 195* I believe though I'm sure you checked it.

No smoke, nothing. I ended up fixing the issue. The radiator was corroded on the interior and old. I just installed a new one. Everything is fine now. The thermometer is old and needs to be replaced. So it doesn't work. But everything is running perfectly now. Thanks for the help, Guys! I appreciate it!

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back