The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Opinion on AWD tire problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow8033

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 23, 2010
Ft. Smith, Arkansas
Last year I got a bad flat on my driver's rear tire. It was ruined so I am forced to replace it. For the winter I put on my snow tires, but now that the weather is warming I have to replace it.

Being all wheel drive, Do I need to buy 4 all new tires? I have found a replacement tire of the EXACT brand and size. Its tread depth left on it is said to be 7/32. I dont work at a tire shop, so I need opinions from someone who does, or knows the answer to this.

I measured the tread depth on the ruined tire, and in the middle of the tire it is at about 8/32 or a tad more, and on the edge it is 6/32. Also just from pictures of the online used tire, it seems to look MORE worn than my ruined tire. But according to the measurements they say its not. Granted I dont know the science of measuring a tire's depth...but I dont think its brain surgery. Do you measure from the center or the edge?

Even if I buy a BRAND NEW exact replacement tire, its going to be taller. So what do I do? The reason for this is brand new the tire is 200-229.00 to replace. The used one I can get for about 50.00.

With this logic, on an awd car, its bad to have one tire smaller than another because it will spin at different speeds. Thats what I have read on here. But with the same thinking...How in the hell can I turn corners without destroying the differential? tires turn at different speeds all the time. :notgood:

The final answer is: You'll be fine.

Two new tires of different brands, both size 215/50/17, both with X/32 of tread, will not be the same outside diameter. In other words, the difference between Firestone's 215/50 and Goodyear's 215/50 and Michelin's 215/50 etc. are all going to be minutely different from one tire model to another. Even the same brand but different model tires are going to be different. Truck tires are even more varied.

You'll be fine. Rotate your tires every 6-8k miles or every other oil change. Keep them inflated to proper car specification. Don't drink and drive. etc. etc. :)

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back