The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

Opinion on a tire (safety concern)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YZFR1

10+ Year Contributor
Apr 8, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia
Hey guys, long story short i used a ghetto shop to install new tires on my rx7 and they didn't replace the valve stems. Had a tire go flat and had to limp to the nearest place that actually ended up being a discount tire. They didn't want to reinstall the tire back because of the damage.

I had all the valve stems replaced and the damaged tire is back on the car, at least for now. Would like to get some opinions from other people, especially people with good tire knowledge if possible.

Here is the pick of the damage:

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It got chewed up on the inside a bit but did not get to the metal. What do you guys think, a yay or a nay?

Thanks for any feedback in advance :)

Shop for a new tire. Obviously, you should not go back to the first place. Safety is nothing to take lightly to save a few dollars. The sidewall is weakned even though it does not protrude through the mesh. I would say integrity is compromised.

From you pic, it appears that the tire was not new to begin with.

Last edited:
I work in the tire industry. Replace that tire. You won't see steel on the side wall because there isn't any there. The integrity of the tire is compromised when it gets hot enough to melt the inner liner.

I've been with DTC for years. As a company, safety is our main concern. Tire is toast and whoever refused to mount it possibly saved your life. *End Rant*

The visible damage is superficial. inner rubber liner coming off.

The part to worry about is the non-visible internal carcass damage. Your tire appears to have been driven with low air pressure for several miles. Cords molded within the rubber distort as the tire rotates (bulge at bottom vs no bulge at top) This alternating cord-distortion creates heat within the tire carcass. Run too-long at under-inflation will deteriorate the rubber-to-cord bond & the rubber & cord materials themselves. Nobody on this forum or anywhere can tell you at what conditions your tire will fail... but it is compromised.

Many people drive on compromised tires... it will last a long time driving at 30mph. When it will fail comes down to statistics & probabilities of unforeseen events. An un-compromised tire has passed multiple sets of manufacturer tests and can be trusted. The un-visible damage is a roll of the dice, as is your next avoidance maneuver.

One of the primary objectives of high-performance driving is predictability. The total contact patch area of four tires holding your car to the road is less than a sheet of paper. Tire failure can be a severe mode of failure leading to loss of control. Yet people deal with flat tires every day. Failure at 30mph is a non-event. Failure at 75mph on a highway off-ramp with friends/kids in the car is a preventable tragedy.

How much do you spend on insurance? The single biggest handling upgrade / degradation to a vehicle is tires.

The visible damage is superficial. inner rubber liner coming off.

The part to worry about is the non-visible internal carcass damage. Your tire appears to have been driven with low air pressure for several miles. Cords molded within the rubber distort as the tire rotates (bulge at bottom vs no bulge at top) This alternating cord-distortion creates heat within the tire carcass. Run too-long at under-inflation will deteriorate the rubber-to-cord bond & the rubber & cord materials themselves. Nobody on this forum or anywhere can tell you at what conditions your tire will fail... but it is compromised.

Many people drive on compromised tires... it will last a long time driving at 30mph. When it will fail comes down to statistics & probabilities of unforeseen events. An un-compromised tire has passed multiple sets of manufacturer tests and can be trusted. The un-visible damage is a roll of the dice, as is your next avoidance maneuver.

One of the primary objectives of high-performance driving is predictability. The total contact patch area of four tires holding your car to the road is less than a sheet of paper. Tire failure can be a severe mode of failure leading to loss of control. Yet people deal with flat tires every day. Failure at 30mph is a non-event. Failure at 75mph on a highway off-ramp with friends/kids in the car is a preventable tragedy.

How much do you spend on insurance? The single biggest handling upgrade / degradation to a vehicle is tires.

You're WAYYY behind the curve man...this thread is over a month old..

scanning the latest posts doesn't cut it when there are few posts... I saw lots of opinions with no explanations.

mis-cue on timing, yes... but never heard of the WAYYY time curve.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back