The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

oil pump stub shaft bolt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Talon2139

15+ Year Contributor
Apr 3, 2007
Walker, Michigan
Ok, so my engine failed because the stub shaft from the oil pump came loose and i found it in the oil pan. Had the oil pump serviced (brought the whole thing including the stub shaft thinking the shop would put it all together for me, but they didn't) at a local shop, and it turned out good.

I then had to take it apart to deal with the stub shaft, not thinking to clean the stub shaft out (the threads for the bolt in the shaft) put one bolt in with red loctite in, and put the pump together. Tried to turn it for kicks, and was really hard to turn, so tore it apart again, and the bolt ended up being to long, took it back off. so its sitting with red loctite in it for approx. 5 mins until I found a shorter one (I have a lot of dsm bolts) and re-red loctited it and torqued it to 30 ft-lbs.

The question i need the answer to is should i take the pump apart again and redo it (meaning clean out the threads in the shaft, and re-red loctite the bolt) or would it probably not be necessary(as there is quite a bit of loctite in the shaft)?

i would take it out and clean both threads thoroughly....that would ensure maximum grip for the bolt...ya gotta think is it worth it comin out again...if it was my motor i would do it

yea im startin to lean towards takin it out again because i want to be 110% sure that its not going to fail again. Thanx for the thoughts.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back