The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Oil pump assembly help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgio213

Proven Member
Sep 27, 2017
Massachusetts
Hey guys, I'm trying to find a good break down on the oil pump sprocket assembly, specifically if there is a spacer that goes on before or after the sprocket. I looked through the hanes manual and didnt see it listed. If my memory is correct though there is a silver metal spacer about the size of a half dollar with an arrow mark on it. Can anyone confirm this or have a picture for me? It's holding up the final reassembly and I need some help. Thanks !

Last edited:
Thats not part of the oil pump though, thats part of the front balance shaft assembly. The oil pump sprocket has a sleeve built into the back side of it for the seal to ride on.

Ok maybe that’s why I’m having trouble finding this. The guy who is doing the motor build said a spacer for the oil pump sprocket. The abover spacer appears to be the for the balance shaft. I’m going Monday to see exactly what piece we’re missing because right now it’s a guessing game unfortunately.

So I went to to view the motor today. He's definitely talking about the oil pump sprocket and believes there should be a spacer between that and the seal. I've looked through many diagrams and the haynes manual and don't see one listed anywhere for the oil pump sprocket. That sound right to everyone? Attached is a pic of it, part circled in black.

Attachments

• motor reassembly.jpg
    motor reassembly.jpg
    633.6 KB · Views: 140
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

maybe its time to find a new engine builder

you might wanna make sure he does:
VVVVVV

The pink circled area is the bolt hole for the balance shaft tensioner pulley. When reinstalling the cover, make sure to either get a new shorter bolt, or install the old pulley and bolt. Put some RTV on the bolt threads before tightening it down. If you do not seal this hole, you will have a massive oil leak.
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/balance-shafts.html

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back