The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Oil pressure wire [Merged 11-8] no gauge loose hanging

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtngclan

Probationary Member
Feb 24, 2003
New_YorkUS
My oil pressure is always reading zero so I started looking. I found this wire disconnected and I cant figure out for the life of me where it's suppost to go. Any help is really appreciated.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

It attaches (slides sideways in the notch of the connector) on the top pin of the bell shaped oil pressure sending unit right next to it. There always coming off. Put a tie wrap around it to help hold it on.

luv2rallye said:
It attaches (slides sideways in the notch of the connector) on the top pin of the bell shaped oil pressure sending unit right next to it. There always coming off. Put a tie wrap around it to help hold it on.

thanks

I was changing my O2 sensor, and noticed that a small wire that comes out of a loomed harness (therefore couldn't trace it back) was SUPPOSED to be connected with a tab, to a screw on the oil filter housing, right near the alternator.
The tab was broken in half so I couldn't reconnect it, not sure how exactly I'm going to get it connected back up, but I"ll figure something out tommorrow.

What I want to know is, what is the wire for? Is it going to bother anything substantially if I drive with it like that for a day?

So installing the 50 trim and I noticed my oil pressure wire just hanging there.

It is severed off right as it goes into the clip, making sauldering a tough option. On the 95 housing there are wires that go to the left, and to the right of the oil feed holes.

The wire to the right of them is connected and fine, the wire to the left of them is the one cut off, what exactly does this wire do and how should I go about fixing it.

Both of my oil pressure wire connectors just fell off. The thing I did was solder on an extra couple inches of wire with a small ring terminal connector for the oil pressure switch that controls the dash light. Then I soldered on a couple inches of wire and plastic covered spade terminal for the oil pressure gauge sender. They work just fine.

I have searched and read a lot about re-connecting the oil pressure sender; however, my problem is different because the actual wire is broken right at the plastic piece.

Here is a picture:

So my question is.... can I just cut that plastic piece off entirely and splice the wires... OR... does that black plastic connector serve a good purpose? Or can I just buy a new piece?

I don't want to mess anything up, so I'd rather ask the pros first. Thanks.

Chop it out and put in a butt end connector. The only reason they did it that way so they could wire the chassis and engine seprate and then in final assembly just snap it all togther.

Just went out and fixed it. Thanks for the quick response.

Is there anything bad about the wire against the oil filter? I had to cut some wire off and its a tight fit...

Also that makes sense they would assemble the chassis and engine separately and just connect them.

:talon:hey i just had this wire fall off. can anyone give me a picture of this installed and maybe some instructions of where this connects and how. i got this motor out of the car but tomorrow after noon it is going in. thanks you all.

It is a green wire close to the oil filter.

I remember putting it back up somewhere at one point in time but it just keeps falling.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCI0084.jpg
    DSCI0084.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 1,713
  • DSCI0088.jpg
    DSCI0088.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 1,733
Most likely goes to the oil pressure sender or oil pressure switch. Does your oil pressure gauge work? Is your oil light on?

Please take a look...bad luck tends to come in sets of 2 on my cars. Not sure why...maybe the wire has been off for days then the timing belt slipped off.

Does it hook up like this when it's done guys? This is where I have been putting it, it falls off after a while though.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCI0083.jpg
    DSCI0083.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 1,803
Are you all 100% positive that this is the wire that goes to my oil pressure gauge? I ask because my engine died recently and my gauge showed no oil pressure.

The timing belt obviously skipped a tooth at that time, but I want to make sure that the oil pressure wasn't low too!!

Also, any thought on where this oil leak may be coming from?

I have cleaned it up in the past, but it keeps coming back. By the time I get around to it, things are too messy down there to figure it out.

Yes it goes to the sending unit. Clean the oil off while the front of the car is on jack stand with the left wheel off the car. Then start it and watch where the oil comes out. That is what I would have done or put dye in the oil. Now since the belt skipped just replace all the gaskets.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back